Fines (Multas) On The Highway.

Gringoboy

Registered
Someone I know who's a biker, was recently stopped by the police in Mar del Plata for not wearing a helmet and reflective jacket marked with his registration number.
He was issued with a ticket and his licence taken away on the spot, but just managed to not have his bike taken as the police didn't have any more room in the vehicle compound.
The following day he went to court that issues the fines, only to discover that his fine would be $3582, which could be reduced to half that, if he paid there and then, which he couldn't do.
They offered him a payment plan, which meant he could only get his license back after the third payment. It also transpires that the law regarding helmets and jackets was only published publicly after his alleged offence took place, at least a week in fact.
Fortunately his wife is a lawyer and they both set to work to quash this lunacy right away.
They soon discovered that law number 532/09 clearly states that the fine should be between 50 and 100 fiscal units (1ltr petrol), whereas they had applied some arbitrary number out of the air I.E.300 UF (unidades fiscales).
His first appeal a week later, resulted in a reduction down to 150 UF ($895 after discount) and the return of his driving licence.
He appealed again and the fine was reduced down to 75 UF.
He appealed a third time and the fine was further reduced to 25 UF ($298.5), citing a litre of petrol May/June at $11.94 per unit, which then ended his saga.

I've read this law and it quite clearly states the fine to be between 50 and 100 fiscal units, which is a long, long way from $3582 and is a salutary lesson for all of us I think.
It's also worth noting that his wife was riding as a passenger and it is she who should have been wearing the marked reflective jacket.
However, the law is very murky as to the issue of a solo rider and tends to rely a great deal on interpretation of said law.

Only in the 3rd world................................................................And very specifically in ArgentinaStan.

If there's a better example of highway robbery ,i wouldn't know where to find it!!!!I would have opted for the classic here''s a couple hundred pesos and leave me the hell alone.As it is not my job to expose how rotten the system is and further more,all the responsible parties that came up with the almost 4000 pesos fine,will not be held accountable......
I'm happy we can chalk one up for the good guys,beating the crooks at their own game :)

Someone I know who's a biker, was recently stopped by the police in Mar del Plata for not wearing a helmet and reflective jacket marked with his registration number.
He was issued with a ticket and his licence taken away on the spot, but just managed to not have his bike taken as the police didn't have any more room in the vehicle compound.
The following day he went to court that issues the fines, only to discover that his fine would be $3582, which could be reduced to half that, if he paid there and then, which he couldn't do.
They offered him a payment plan, which meant he could only get his license back after the third payment. It also transpires that the law regarding helmets and jackets was only published publicly after his alleged offence took place, at least a week in fact.
Fortunately his wife is a lawyer and they both set to work to quash this lunacy right away.
They soon discovered that law number 532/09 clearly states that the fine should be between 50 and 100 fiscal units (1ltr petrol), whereas they had applied some arbitrary number out of the air I.E.300 UF (unidades fiscales).
His first appeal a week later, resulted in a reduction down to 150 UF ($895 after discount) and the return of his driving licence.
He appealed again and the fine was reduced down to 75 UF.
He appealed a third time and the fine was further reduced to 25 UF ($298.5), citing a litre of petrol May/June at $11.94 per unit, which then ended his saga.

I've read this law and it quite clearly states the fine to be between 50 and 100 fiscal units, which is a long, long way from $3582 and is a salutary lesson for all of us I think.
It's also worth noting that his wife was riding as a passenger and it is she who should have been wearing the marked reflective jacket.
However, the law is very murky as to the issue of a solo rider and tends to rely a great deal on interpretation of said law.

While there may be some injustice in this particular case, I would say that Argentine police defer to lawbreakers, especially in traffic matters. If I were a double amputee, I could count without fingers the number of times I have flagrant traffic violators pulled over to the side of the road. Most often, the cops wait by the roadside to stop otherwise law-abiding vehicles for meticulous document and safety checks, which are nothing more than opportunities for coimas. Argentina needs more and better traffic law enforcement.

As far as is discernible in this crazy law, which stipulates that bikers should have their helmet marked with the 'patente' and the passenger or pillion the same as well as a 'chaleco' with the 'patente', if riding solo, the biker only needs to have the helmet 'marked'.
Apparently this is all part of Scioli's so called emergency security measures, which naturally, motorbike criminals will be adhering to without question.
I don't like this law, but since it's a regular occurrence to be stopped by the police here at routine traffic controls, who needs the extra hassle quite frankly.
Anyway, I've applied the helmet stickers which are also reflective and serve two purposes.

My husband explained to me that the police here know the year of the car/bike by its license plate (since license plates are given out in alphabetical order with different letters each year and the plate stays with the car.) That's part of why some cars get pulled over and others don't. They know who's most likely to have out of date papers. With bikers, I think they're just looking to fine anyone, especially if it's a nicer bike. Out here in provincia there are checkpoints quite often for cars, but I rarely see any bikers wearing vests.

In our previous car, after it was about 2 years old, my husband was pulled over all the time. With the new car, he has yet to be pulled over... but expects it to start when the car hits 2.

My husband explained to me that the police here know the year of the car/bike by its license plate (since license plates are given out in alphabetical order with different letters each year and the plate stays with the car.) That's part of why some cars get pulled over and others don't. They know who's most likely to have out of date papers. With bikers, I think they're just looking to fine anyone, especially if it's a nicer bike. Out here in provincia there are checkpoints quite often for cars, but I rarely see any bikers wearing vests.

In our previous car, after it was about 2 years old, my husband was pulled over all the time. With the new car, he has yet to be pulled over... but expects it to start when the car hits 2.

Then why do the police never stop the chatas with no headlights or taillights, or license plates?

That's odd why they would pull over a car that hits 2 years old...
I was pulled over yet again last Saturday on the bike near Chascomus and gave the cop every piece of documentation I could lay my hands on, including my UK license (I have an Arg licence too) and not a word about the patente. He was very friendly too, asking if I was touring the country.
I've got nothing to hide, but I'm sure they would like to find something at least.

I've applied the helmet stickers which are also reflective and serve two purposes.

GB, where did you get the helmet stickers? I need to get them for mine as well..

PS, yesterday I went to Entre Rios with a couple other guys for lunch and afterwards, I thought about you, should have written to see if you would like to go.. Anyway, maybe next time. It was a nice ride, a little cold in the morning though..

Back