Fire In Barrancas

sleslie23

Registered
Anyone see this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/7-die-in-fire-destroying-argentine-bank-archives/2014/02/05/7c489abc-8e70-11e3-878e-d76656564a01_story.html

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1661733-aun-quedan-varios-focos-de-incendio-en-la-zona-del-derrumbe-de-barracas

Seems a bit odd to me. A US company maintaining archive of various Argentina banks and companies. Conspiracy theories welcome ...

Fairly standard, these physical data storage companies are everywhere, it's not unusual for them to have local subsidiaries in LatAm. I imagine they probably price lower than the local competition being able to absorb some costs that smaller local operations couldnt.

However. RIP those 9 (maybe 11) bomboneros.

Methink you are clueless both regarding the data storage business and the difference between "Barrancas" and "Barracas" - barracks. Quite different locations in town

Methink you are clueless both regarding the data storage business and the difference between "Barrancas" and "Barracas" - barracks. Quite different locations in town

Me, I Am quite familiar with physical data storage and where the location is and the name of the barrio.

Weird comment.

they probably just don`t care about safety
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/151435/at-least-4-iron-mountain-facilities-previously-hit-by-fires

If they don't, the city certainly should. Questions to be asked of the fire regulations / inspections regime?

Some 10 or so years ago I was asked to evaluate a similar operation at a bunker type building at the corner of Bulnes and B. Mitre. The building was erected as a parking and used to sit next to a now defunct car dealer. Then it was turned into a data storage service. The place is now again functioning as a parking but in those days there were shelves and boxes at every level stuffed with paper from corporations, banks, law and accounting firms, you name it.
The place also offered services other than storage, digitalization for instance.
They could deliver the digitized documents by email or originals by messenger within 6/24/48 hours. One of the big plusses was location. Most competing firms had been forced to move their locations around BA or to neighboring provinces to reduce costs but the time frame to produce actual documents had been affected considerably and forced some clients to migrate in consequence.
The facility I surveyed was a joke. Their computing infrastructure was non existant, no backup off site or elsewhere. of any kind but a 250MB Tape - a Colorado TB, already an antique by any standard in those days -. No backup servers or redundancy. Nothing and a regular Fibertel connection. A mess.
When I asked about the safgety measures they mentioned the sprinklers. WTF? Sprinklers will ruin what you are trying to protect. They should have installed gas but this is Argentina.

The company name I can´t remember but back then was associated with one of the biggest 4 in the US. An incredible bluff. If you knew how they operated you wouldn´t trust them a sheet of used TP.

The images of the fire do not show tons of paper burning... Have no faith those sprinklers were ever connected to a working system.

Back