First Post…first Question

toconn

Registered
Hola,

I am relocating to BsAs for a couple months (possibly longer) starting in June. I have been looking on a few different sites (airbnb, argrentapart) for a temporary apartment. I want something temporary and furnished until I decide to stay permanently.

I will be continuing to work my current job (in the US) remotely from Argentina. Herein lies my dilemma….my apartment has to have fast/reliable internet. I have done some research and the best internet available in BsAs seems to be Fibertel 30.

Is it unlikely that I could find a temporary apartment with Fibertel 30 already installed?
What would be involved for me to have this service set up while only being a 'tourist'?

I have stayed in some AirBnb places in BsAs before and had very spotty internet.

If anybody has any insight or ideas as to how to best stay connected down there it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Hi,

Methinks that fast and reliable are not synonyms of large bandwith.
Why spend for a lot of bandwith if you're not going to use it more effectively than a lot less/cheaper?
Have friends that run the Corporate Services and the larger bandwith services of Fibertel with no particular differences with the regular user.
Myself, I'd love a better ping for playing rather than more bandwith but I know that a more expensive service will not deal with that particular issue.

Fibertel moves with you, so if you manage to install it at your first location then you can ask to have it moved to a more permanent one in the future when you move.

Clueless regarding your tourist status but maybe you could try paying 6 months in advance?

If reliability is an issue, you should definitely get two different lines and combine them. In my experience, a lot of temporal rentals have internet, but almost always a cheaper package, which means lower bandwidth.

You're not going to find any rentals with 30 MB Evolution service from Fibertel as the cost is much higher. Most everyone has 3 Mb or 6Mb.

You're also not going to be able to sign up for it yourself as you do not have a DNI. You'll need to work out a deal with the owner to upgrade (requires an onsite install too). if you're staying for a longer period, it may be worth their while to do it.

I've had Fibertel Evolution since it was released and it's by far the fastest and most reliable for the home user. The 6Mb connection is not that bad, but I found issues with doing too many things at once - VOIP, downloading torrents, etc. No problems at all on Evolution.

Not sure what line of work you are in. It is one thing to send a pdf and another to send a video. I have about a 10-12 hour upload for 2GB video on a site like youtube, 24 hours to upload 2gb on dropbox. I used to pay more for more bandwith but it was a scam (you can use those bandwith calculators). I now have 1mega and it is as fast as 5megas was.
The other option is to use a co-working space like Areatres (there are others) that have lots of bandwith when you need to do lots of uploading.

Thank you everybody for your replies, there's some really good info shared. Also, thank you to everyone who IMed me.
I work as an IT consultant. I work mostly with databases, reporting software, eic. I guess on an average day I would be more concerned with consistency and would only need bandwith 20% of the time. Also would need to Skype/VOIP 2-3 hours a day.

Is there anyone on this forum who telecommutes to the US or Europe?

Thank you everybody for your replies, there's some really good info shared. Also, thank you to everyone who IMed me.
I work as an IT consultant. I work mostly with databases, reporting software, eic. I guess on an average day I would be more concerned with consistency and would only need bandwith 20% of the time. Also would need to Skype/VOIP 2-3 hours a day.

Is there anyone on this forum who telecommutes to the US or Europe?

I work remotely to the US (AWS datacenter, us-east region). You also have to worry about power outages here in Buenos Aires. In fact I think we lose power more often than we lose Internet (in fact, the Internet has been very reliable here). Of course when the power goes out, the router and cable modem go out. A UPS could fix that, assuming the cable Internet is still live. In any case, I would recommend living somewhere close to an alternate Wifi source. Like a Starbucks or maybe a co-working space.

My landlord has some other apartments around the Palermo area and he is very accommodating. If you wanted the Fibertel 30 mega or something special, he'd probably be willing to install it as long as you paid for it. If I recall, it wasn't too expensive by US standards. On my normal Fibertel connection, I get about 110KB/sec upload speed and almost 1MB/sec download speed. The latency is a bit worse than in the US, but it's hard to change the speed of light. Feel free to post here or PM me with questions.

Hi toconn, welcome to the forum. :)

I work 100% remotely also (also in IT), and it's doable, but you'll need to plan a little. I don't find the bandwidth issues to be such a big restriction. It can sometimes mean taking a coffee break while you're emailing a schema or something, but it's workable.

Reliability is a big issue however. Power outages are the worst (especially in summer) - but a UPS generally fixes these. Also, on occasion, some of the providers lose connectivity with certain parts of the world.

What I'd recommend (i.e. my own setup) is two bonded connections using different technologies. A fibertel cable connection and a arnet DSL connection is what I use. Neither is wonderful, but they (almost) never go down together. And for absolute emergencies, keep a 3g connection (I use the term losely here, you'll be lucky to get EDGE speeds) to hand.

As to how pratical this will be in rented accommodation - I'm not really sure.

Whatever you do, don't get telecentro. :)

Reliability is a big issue however. Power outages are the worst (especially in summer) - but a UPS generally fixes these. Also, on occasion, some of the providers lose connectivity with certain parts of the world.

Can you recommend a good place to buy a UPS locally, and a good brand? In the US it's a simple trip to Fry's... here, ni idea.

I'm also interested in hearing about your bonded setup - how is this setup (hardware, software, etc)?

Can you recommend a good place to buy a UPS locally, and a good brand? In the US it's a simple trip to Fry's... here, ni idea.

I'm also interested in hearing about your bonded setup - how is this setup (hardware, software, etc)?
Re the UPS: for pretty much anything computer related, the easiest place is generally Galería Jardín on Florida street. More techie stuff than you can shake a stick at :)

Re the bonding: up to a few weeks ago, I had a kind of roll-your-own setup between two vpn connections to work, but in the last few weeks I've been having a LOT more success with one of these: http://www.multipathnetworks.com/products/office-connect-50/
Obviously easier to buy this outside argentina though :)

Back