(First Post) British Passport Renewal / Postage To Arg

pr1970

Registered
My first post on the forums so i`ll just introduce myself first . I`m not actually a BA resident, I live in the north of Argentina but it seems a good helpful community on here so thought i`d give it a try. Have lived here for 3 years with my Argentine wife and my two kids who were born in the UK. We decided to move to be closer to my wifes family and enjoy a cheaper cost of living compared to the UK where we`d have ended up paying the equivelant of two mortgages for childcare.

Anyway, the question I have is that my wife and eldest child are due a passport renewal early next year. I`m not too concerned about sending the documents over to the uk, but more in regards receiving them back here in Argentina. We`ve had things "disappear" in the post before being sent over here, and i`m concerned about the new passports going the same way.

Any suggestions the best way to have passports sent here. I`ve had two letters , both with tracking sent with important documents go missing before. But then i`ve had several other letter sized items sent with standard post and they`ve all arrived.

Thanks alot

Paul

When you sent the documents with tracking and they got lost, was it through the mail system or a private courier?

I ask because I've used DHL for the 8 years I've been here to receive my mail from the US, which sometimes has some important documents. I've never actually lost anything, although one time I had a couple of books in the shipment that they wanted to charge me over $100 USD in fees and duties so I let them keep the shipment.

Books for personal use are not supposed to be taxed, nor papers and such either. I've never sent books by DHL again, but every month I get my DHL envelope (or sometimes small box) right to my door (or, at least, doorman) with no issues. I only send papers and such (bank cards, etc) now.

I'd suggest a private international courier such as DHL or FedEx even though they can be costly.

Paul , the DHL return fee is included in the price when you renew your UK passport from overseas.

I have received all official mail via post. Passports, DLs, SSI and etc. Apostatized Docs. No problem. Other mail....gone with the wind.

I've been using FedEx to Argentina for years no problems. I have a FedEx coming next week with Fbi report -$82 USD

ok thanks for the responses. I have used fedex in the past but it proved a nightmare, as we only received notification that the parcel had arrived in BA, no good when you a 700 miles away. We had to go and collect it from there, well a family member in BA did and then had to get faxes and authorisation sent over for them to collect it and took two trips and some 6 hours to get our package. Perhaps DHL will be better (i hope).

Can't you send them to the U.K. Embassy in Buenos Aires? Don't yell at me for not knowing the rules; I'm not British.

Can't you send them to the U.K. Embassy in Buenos Aires? Don't yell at me for not knowing the rules; I'm not British.

Fred , British passports are now only issued in Britain - you have to send all the docs to the uk and they send the passports back by DHL.

Just to update, New passport has arrived successfully via DHL, and to our front door rather than going to some office and waiting. Only took a month and a half and that included having to redo the form due to our mistake and send it back to the UK again.

Back