First Time in Europe

esensies

Registered
Thank you to everyone who answered my other post about cheap flights. I have decided to spend 80 days backpacking in Europe, starting in London. I'm leaving in 2 weeks. I have been looking at Youtubers like SimonWilson and TheHack for tips on how to save money while traveling. I'd love to hear any other tips for saving money in Europe, since I've never been there. I have rental income of US$880, and I'm looking to spend the least amount possible. I heard of food banks, food apps, FlixBus (though low-cost flights are not an option because of my checked-in bag). I'm spending my first 2 weeks in a London hostel, but maybe there are other options like AirBnB or Couchsurfing. I'd also love to hear if anyone has worked there.

Also wanted to know if the information on personal goods posted here is still up-to-date: https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-i...u can also bring in,or still wine) - 9 litres

It says I can bring up to 4 liters of spirits and 200 cigarettes from outside the EU without paying tax. Is that still true? I'm thinking of bringing like 10 packs of the cheap Argentina cigarettes and 4 liters of the cheap vodka/gin they sell here.

That allowance sounds about right.

Shop around for currency conversion and don't use the places in Heathrow airport.

I don't travel in a particularly budget conscious way, however you can get cheap lunches in the convenience shops like Tesco, Sainsburys, CoOp etc across the UK. £3 ish for a drink, sandwich and snack.

You can live off Greggs!

If you want to be cheap get out of London, rest of the Uk both a lot cheaper and nicer.

That allowance sounds about right.

Shop around for currency conversion and don't use the places in Heathrow airport.

I don't travel in a particularly budget conscious way, however you can get cheap lunches in the convenience shops like Tesco, Sainsburys, CoOp etc across the UK. £3 ish for a drink, sandwich and snack.
Think £3 meal deal is a few years old - I’d expect it’d be at least £4 or £5 in London for a supermarket meal deal these days - or only a sandwich and drink or snack, and the last time I was in a sainsburys near my London office this year I’m sure they didn’t even have any meal deals anymore

Back