First timer, thinking about buying a house

jeff1234

Registered
I'm considering buying a weekend/summer house near the ocean. The realtor quoted a price in $usd. She said she will facilitate my paying $usd into an account in the US and whenever I sell she can facilitate my receiving payment in the US. She also said that the final price for houses in that area is usually 20% below asking price. I notice that her website does not show any prices. That makes me suspicious that I'm being charged a different price from what a local would pay. I'm considering renting the house for a week to see how my family likes it. Again she quoted me a price in $USD for the rental. Any advice?

Just out of curiosity, is this around Mar de las Pampas? I can find the agency who rented to us, they both sell and rent, also I saw that the town has a website with real estate offers as well.

I’d love to have a place there but it’s hugely expensive, to rent a nice apartment you’re talking USD4k per month in high season this year.

20% below asking price is what I’d offer, expecting to close in the middle, actually being offered 20% off suggests room to negotiate. Definitely rent for a week to see how you like it. I’m jealous already.

Just out of curiosity, is this around Mar de las Pampas? I can find the agency who rented to us, they both sell and rent, also I saw that the town has a website with real estate offers as well.

I’d love to have a place there but it’s hugely expensive, to rent a nice apartment you’re talking USD4k per month in high season this year.

20% below asking price is what I’d offer, expecting to close in the middle, actually being offered 20% off suggests room to negotiate. Definitely rent for a week to see how you like it. I’m jealous already.
Mar del Pampa is very nice. We went there about 5 years ago. Since then we've been going to Costa Del Este where this house is. We were there in November and again last week so it seems like time to think about having a house there.
When she said that 20% off asking price is average sale price, I took it to mean that I should start lower and expect that we'd settle at 20% off.
She's shown me comps. 20% off for this house seems like a really nice deal. But still I don't want to overpay.

Last edited:
She said she will facilitate my paying $usd into an account in the US and whenever I sell she can facilitate my receiving payment in the US.

these two statements sound fishy

There is no substitute for doing your own legwork. Going there, spending a few days following up se vende signs on other buildings in the neighbourhood, browsing other real estate agents, getting a real feel for how the market is really working. And for that matter, finding out whether or not your prospective neighbours are 24-hour party people! It'll cost you a few days and a few dollars. How many thousands do you stand to lose if things are not as they seem?

You can also check places like MIRAMAR (south of Mar del Plata),Villa Gesell,San Bernardo, etc. Those are OK and not too expensive.

these two statements sound fishy
I like how they assume the buyer is going to use them for buying and selling. Even in the USA real-estate agent are pretty shadey. The first one I had here was a disaster

USD4k per month
Can somembody explain where from Argentinians are getting 4K/month when they are allowed to buy 200$ in USD.
Sale price in usd-ok, but renting-you're gringopriced. That's concerning renting.

Concerning selling. OP send your Argentinianfriends as secret buyers to the lady and see what they will get.

Can somembody explain where from Argentinians are getting 4K/month when they are allowed to buy 200$ in USD.
Sale price in usd-ok, but renting-you're gringopriced. That's concerning renting.

Concerning selling. OP send your Argentinianfriends as secret buyers to the lady and see what they will get.
Argentinians - outside the US - are one of the biggest USD cash holders, mostly stashed under the mattress; thanks to decade long misgovernment and inflation. The economy might be in shambles right now, but there are still many Argentinians with substantial wealth (properties, cash, foreign usd accounts, investments in international stocks and bonds).

And i think it is pretty common to rent in USD for houses and apartments (say above 1000 usd per month). So paying in USD to rent a nice house / apartment is not per se a rip off.

There is no substitute for doing your own legwork. Going there, spending a few days following up se vende signs on other buildings in the neighbourhood, browsing other real estate agents, getting a real feel for how the market is really working. And for that matter, finding out whether or not your prospective neighbours are 24-hour party people! It'll cost you a few days and a few dollars. How many thousands do you stand to lose if things are not as they seem?

That's exactly our plan. I've inquired about renting for a week in June. It'll be cold and off season but should learn alot. They quoted me a price in US$ for the week. I've offerred to pay in pesos, waiting to hear back.

Back