Fiscal year or calendar year for 183 day rule

If you mean how many days in a year you must spend in Argentina in order to retain a temporary residency that Migraciones has granted, I believe the answer is a minimum of 183 days during the lapse of 365 days that begin from the date the residency was granted. Nothing to do with fiscal years.

If you mean how many days in a year you must spend in Argentina in order to retain a temporary residency that Migraciones has granted, I believe the answer is a minimum of 183 days during the lapse of 365 days that begin from the date the residency was granted. Nothing to do with fiscal years.

The description you just gave is the definition of "fiscal year" :)

The description you just gave is the definition of "fiscal year" :)
OK, but it's important not to confuse immigration issues with tax issues. If you were talking about tax (where a 183-day cut-off rule also applies for eligibility/non-eligibility in certain categories) a fiscal year (that in Argentina also coincides with the calendar year) calculation does come into play.

(Note also that the date from when you arrive and lodge your temporary residency application to the date your temporary residency is granted (and the first 365 day count begins) can be quite long. Also--and this is something that has been asked (by me) and clarified here (by another knowledgeable poster) previously--the date your temporary residency begins and the date your subsequent DNI is issued will differ, but the date that matters for the 365-day countdown is the date of the former.)

Last edited:
OK, but it's important not to confuse immigration issues with tax issues. If you were talking about tax (where a 183-day cut-off rule also applies for eligibility/non-eligibility in certain categories) a fiscal year (that in Argentina also coincides with the calendar year) calculation does come into play.

I am referring to the time required to maintain residency. So it sounds like your saying it is a fical year (365 days starting from the day the visa was received) for residency, and a calendar year (January to December) for tax purposes.

I am referring to the time required to maintain residency. So it sounds like your saying it is a fical year (365 days starting from the day the visa was received) for residency, and a calendar year (January to December) for tax purposes.
That is my understanding of the residency calculation. Others will chime in if I have got it wrong, but I am fairly sure this is accurate.

The tax situation is more complicated, but, for certain taxes, for certain people, 183 days presence in or absence from the country in a calendar year will have an impact on whether they have to pay tax on income earned and assets held over that calendar year.

Back