Fish in Buenos Aires

polostar88

Registered
It's summer and I get tired of eating beef sometimes. Was wondering where I could find good and NATURAL fish, or if I should not bother looking. When I say natural I mean not farm raised, not tilapia, just regular fish from the ocean or the rivers. Some place where I can get it fresh and good. I find that at this time of year you can't find fish at all in certain supermarkets even.

I eat fish every day, whether for lunch or dinner. Fish comes in fresh on Wednesdays. During the entire month of January many neighborhood fish shops (those which sell nothing but seafood) are closed. My favorite one, La Pescaderia de Don Carlos, is in Almagro, on Av. Castro Barros 2 blocks from Av. Rivadavia. It opened today because the family only takes 2 weeks off. I bought fresh brotola at AR$160 per kilo today.

Chicho's in Parque Patricios sells a wide variety of fish. They are another family owned shop which has been around for 60 years. Many restaurants have weekly standing orders with them. Rias Bajas has a couple of shops in the city and sells quality fish. Ostramar is a recommendable fish store although overpriced by my standards. I don't think Jumbo sells fresh fish of any variety. I stay away from fish markets in Barrio Chino.

Types of fish available in BA....
https://www.planetajoy.com/?No_son_...de_los_pescados_blancos&page=ampliada&id=4786

Gracielle,

Do you cook the "pescado entero" or do you cook filets. what kind of recipee do you use? I LOVE fish!

--

Is it easy to get good quality fish sauce, sea food sauce and palm sugar syrup in BA?

Last edited:
Gracielle,

Do you cook the "pescado entero" or do you cook filets. what kind of recipee do you use? I LOVE fish!

--

Is it easy to get good quality fish sauce, sea food sauce and palm sugar syrup in BA?
I have found the fish sauce is not great, but it is available in Barrio Chino. Havent seen palm sugar syrup, but I would guess you can get it either in Flores or Barrio Chino. What is "sea food sauce"? I recently made a batch of kimchee, and found tiny fermented shrimp paste, but I dont know if that counts or not.

Ceviche - Do you cook the "pescado entero" or do you cook filets. what kind of recipee do you use? I LOVE fish!
I brought a 3-compartment bamboo steamer from the states where I steam filets, rice and vegetables such as thinly sliced zucchini, eggplant, red bell peppers or broccoli, corn, celery and/or beets. I use a home made hummus sauce w/o the sesame oil. Or one with fresh lemon juice, mostaza (ARG version of mustard) and chopped garlic. Or top dish with olive oil, chopped cilantro and julienne cut raw red onions and carrots and/or cabbage. Or Italian style with fresh tomatoes, basil (when in season) and shallots or white onions. Or French style with sliced mushrooms, shallots and a red wine sauce thickened with cornstarch or arrowroot floor.

I agree with the post by Ries.

Last edited:
Nikad - http://www.pescaderiamellino.com/ they are in Caballito. You can go there but I strongly recommend their weekly specials that get delivered. Awesome packaging, superb quality and super fresh.

I don't shop at Mellino's although I live 6 blocks from that shop. I don't trust the freshness of the fish on display. To me, not as fresh as their competitor, Pablo &....located 1 block away at Mercado del Progreso at slightly higher prices. On any given day the lines of customers at Pablo's far exceeds the ones at Mellino's. Good to know that you are happy with their delivered goods.

As a fish and seafood lover used to eating excellent quality produce in the UK I rarely bother buying the stuff here. Considering the price you have to pay for it the quality and variety is very poor. The only fish I buy regularly is merluza (hake) because I can cook it any way I like although my favourite method is to smoke it.
However, when I see the size of the fish they sell I reckon the merluza stocks will soon run out as there doesn't seem to be any minimum size limit.

Back