Flight Prices Skyrocketed

citygirl

Registered
Just in case anyone in booking to the US for the holidays - flight prices went sky high (pun intended;) yesterday due to lack of dollars in the central bank. I had flights on hold on Delta for 18,000 pesos and today they are quoting them at 33,000 pesos. Looks like no trip to the US for us this year.

Can't you buy the tickets from the U.S.?

When I go to the UK I just buy the flight from the UK.

wow almost double the price
and to think i got a round trip year ticket from Prague via LHR to EZE on British Airways for $720usd round trip! and that's for January

Delta US is quoting them in USD at 3K+ for each ticket.

Keep looking. A United flight that I ticketed 2 days ago is only about 750 pesos more today. Another tip: Our colleague Ben on this forum is a great travel agent. He might be able to help you.

This might not be practical this time for the holidays if you have time constraints (or if you have kids etc), but I've found consistently cheap flights to many US destinations (LA, Miami, I think NYC) from São Paulo. If you are flexible with your dates, $390-ish USD seems to be a standard R/T price - I've done several searches over several months and it keeps coming up. I was tipped off about this by a user of this forum, who travelled to Atlanta this way.

I just searched the Google flight matrix for a 14 night trip to LA ('calendar of lowest fares') and the last available date for this price is on the 16th of December, for example.

Getting to São Paulo and back and ensuring adequate but not excessive transfer time etc is another matter, of course!

I just checked. LAN & Aerolineas Argentinas have the cheapest fares. BA to NYC U$D 750 RT. (U$D 1.176 with fees.)
That's cheap !!!.

http://www.despegar.com.ar/shop/flights/results/roundtrip/BUE/JFK/2015-11-01/2015-11-17/1/0/0

I know from my Brazilian friends that airfares ex SP are very cheap
A friend bought a ticket SP-LAX-VEGAS-SP for $ 340usd

Unfortunately traveling with kids + holidays = not looking to fly from Uruguay or SP or any of the other cheaper options. Nor are multiple stops an option.

The aerolineas prices didn't go up much but I despise Aerolineas since every time I've flown them, I've had flights canceled, delayed for hours and hours, etc. They're just not reliable.

Back