Flying Via Sao Paolo

GuilleGee

Registered
Hello all,

I am going to take advantage of the many experiences peoples have on this board, and see if anyone can help calm my mind regarding a flight I take tomorrow...

I am headed to Athens with Turkish Airlines, and fly through Sao Paolo (GRU) and Istanbul (IST). We purchased this ticket before Turkish Arilines had started flying to Buenos Aires, so the first portion of our journey is with TAM to Sao Paolo. In Sao Paolo we have a 5 hour layover and then grab the Turkish Airlines flight to Istanbul. My question is the following:

As a US citizen & Argentine Permanent Resident, will I need any kind of visa for this transit and airline switch in Brazil? I have read all kinds of opinions, and I am not interested in rumors, but rather experiences people may have had flying through Brazil. I would not be worried at all if I was flying straight through with Turkish, but since we have to change airlines, I am a little bit nervous.

Would TAM turn me back in BA? Would I get to Brasil and they would kick me out for not having a visa? Can I just flash my DNI and hope nothing happens? Or is this transit not a problem at all and I am just over thinking things?

I think generally you just hang out in the international portion of the airport. In other words, you never actually enter Brazil... you don't go through customs, etc. You just go from one gate to the other (and maybe do some shopping in the duty free zone).

So long as you don´t pass through border control in Brazil you shouldn't have to worry about your visa status.

In transit Passengers never require visas. Now if you need to change airports is a different issue.

If you are traveling in transit through Brazil, you will not need any sort of visa.

I am a U.S. citizen, and I have traveled through Brazil in transit several times, the most recent of which was in December of 2012.

In transit Passengers never require visas. Now if you need to change airports is a different issue.

That is a good point. Some flights to Brazil involve travel from Congonhas to Guarulhos. Make sure you are leaving from the same airport to which you arrive.

Hi there.

How long ago did you purchase the ticket and you dont fly TA all the leds?
How ever do you arrive in Istabul at arround 2200 ?Is there a conecting flight to Athens right away or you fly the next day?IIf you fly the next day you propably are entitled to a hotel room on TA expense.Have you been told so?.if so ,send your luggages to your final destination (ATH) and just keep your hand bags with you.As soon as you arrive in Istabul go throgh the passport control and go through the sliding doors.Once outside the doors turn right ,at the end you will see a Starbucks, walk towards it , just before the Starbucks on your right is the TA hotel office.They will also tranfer you to your hotel.
Have a safe trip.If you need anything while in Greece pm me.

Hello all,

I am going to take advantage of the many experiences peoples have on this board, and see if anyone can help calm my mind regarding a flight I take tomorrow...

I am headed to Athens with Turkish Airlines, and fly through Sao Paolo (GRU) and Istanbul (IST). We purchased this ticket before Turkish Arilines had started flying to Buenos Aires, so the first portion of our journey is with TAM to Sao Paolo. In Sao Paolo we have a 5 hour layover and then grab the Turkish Airlines flight to Istanbul. My question is the following:

As a US citizen & Argentine Permanent Resident, will I need any kind of visa for this transit and airline switch in Brazil? I have read all kinds of opinions, and I am not interested in rumors, but rather experiences people may have had flying through Brazil. I would not be worried at all if I was flying straight through with Turkish, but since we have to change airlines, I am a little bit nervous.

Would TAM turn me back in BA? Would I get to Brasil and they would kick me out for not having a visa? Can I just flash my DNI and hope nothing happens? Or is this transit not a problem at all and I am just over thinking things?
I have been through GRU 2 times in the past 3 months with connections. London>GRU>AEP (BA then TAM), AEP>GRU>Frankfurt (Aerolineas then TAM). BOTH times I was told quite implicitly that I would have to get off in GRU go through customs and get my bag, which ended up happening both times. Lucky I have a UK passport so I simply got a stamp, however it is a major pain in the ass. Both my tickets were on the same booking, however apparently the airlines are not capable of working together like every other airport. I would assume you have to pick up your bag in GRU, then confirm at the airport in buenos aires. I am now refusing to fly via Brasil to Argentina because it's become such a pain in the ass.

Back