Flying With Pets In Cabin/delta

citygirl

Registered
Anyone flown with their cat or small dog in the cabin on Delta? Do they actually measure the carrier? I confirmed with Delta before buying my ticket on the size of the kennel but when I called today, they told me a different (really small) size. I can order another carrier bag and have it brought from the US if need be.

We also have 3 seats booked together (so the entire middle row on the 767-400) so it's not like I'm going to be bothering anyone else if it's a bit bigger/longer than stated.

Also -anything else I need other than the vet cert for a cat? And can I just print out a generic one? Our vet will happily stamp one in English.

Anyone flown with their cat or small dog in the cabin on Delta? Do they actually measure the carrier? I confirmed with Delta before buying my ticket on the size of the kennel but when I called today, they told me a different (really small) size. I can order another carrier bag and have it brought from the US if need be.

We also have 3 seats booked together (so the entire middle row on the 767-400) so it's not like I'm going to be bothering anyone else if it's a bit bigger/longer than stated.

Also -anything else I need other than the vet cert for a cat? And can I just print out a generic one? Our vet will happily stamp one in English.

We travel with small dogs in the cabin with us. If it's the same with cats (no idea if it is), you will need not just a vet cert, but a document originated by the vet, then sent to your state agricultural agency where it gets an embossed seal, certifying that the vet is licensed and qualified to issue the paper. It's annoying, but not too difficult if you've allowed time for courier service to/from the agency.

We once came down with the cert, but not the state seal, and it cost seven hours of my wife's life, and for a while it looked like she'd have to go back to the US to get the damned thing. SENASA at the airport will feel the seal, and if it's not the original, you're in for a fun time.

If this is a single pet you should have no problem with Delta, but make absolutely sure that they accept your pet on the reservation: there's a limit to how many pets they allow on a flight, and there can't be two adjacent, nor any in an exit or bulkhead row.

Hope you've left some time to get these things done.

Thanks! I already have him "booked" with us for our flight in Oct (hence the fight with them about the soft kennel size).

We're going into the US, not Argentina. Per the USDA, no import requirements for cats. And per the CDC, there is no type of paperwork besides the health cert (in english) required for importing cats unless you're going into Hawaii which we're not. They do visual inspections at point of entry for cats.

If anyone has traveled with cats and knows something different, I'd love to know!

Thanks! I already have him "booked" with us for our flight in Oct (hence the fight with them about the soft kennel size).

We're going into the US, not Argentina. Per the USDA, no import requirements for cats. And per the CDC, there is no type of paperwork besides the health cert (in english) required for importing cats unless you're going into Hawaii which we're not. They do visual inspections at point of entry for cats.

If anyone has traveled with cats and knows something different, I'd love to know!

Should have asked which way you're going. Far as I know, only current rabies inoculation for dogs to enter the US, and you've done your homework for your cat.

Well, maybe the info will help someone else.

Please remember that you will have to comply with the requisites for LEAVING Argentina and for ENTERING your destination. I won't discuss the requisites for entering the US as this is specific of your case and it looks like you have them already covered, but Senasa requires you to get a vet certificate from them the 1-2 days before the flight. Read HERE.

I saw some vet shops offering to do the whole thing for you (it is not necessary to bring your pet to Senasa, it is just paperwork).

Oh thanks! I forgot about the Senasa cert (our vet will do the health cert here) although I'm not certain the airline's check it since he's flying as a carry-on in the cabin with us, not as checked baggage. But I'll stop by their office anyway just to confirm, there's one close and I am there often enough for the horses. We've got plenty of time - flight's not for a few months!

Oh thanks. I forgot about the Senasa cert (our vet will do the health cert here) although I'm not certain the airline's check it since he's flying as a carry-on in the cabin with us, not as checked baggage. But I'll stop by their office anyway just to confirm, there's one close and I am there often enough for the horses. We've got plenty of time - flight's not for a few months!

That's another important thing, at least re dogs: to leave Argentina with them, you must have an Argentine vet's health certificate (good for ten days only), AND take it to the SENASA Lazareto office.

http://www.senasa.gob.ar/informacion/viajar-con-mascotas/viajar-con-mascotas-al-exterior

They validate the health certificate, but you still have to visit the SENASA desk at Ezeiza the day of the flight to have it revalidated. They won't look at it otherwise, and they are as efficient as you would expect them to be, so plan on extra time if this process pertains to cats. Almost missed a couple of flights because of this. SENASA tells you that all this crap is because of US policy, but that's bogus - we've never been asked for anything other than the rabies certificate.

Back