Food or medicine? Inflation squeezing retirees in Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food or medicine? If Argentines ate real food, they wouldn't need medicine. The problem is there is too much junk posing as food, which causes obesity followed by health problems. "let food be thy medicine, and medicine thy food. -- Hippocrates 400 BC." Nutrition prevents and cures disease.
What an obtuse response to the horrible consequences of inflation. People need both food and medicine.

What an obtuse response to the horrible consequences of inflation. People need both food and medicine.
Truly a "let them eat cake" forum moment here...
Some people are so detached from reality that they think people should just eat fruits, nuts and veg to replace their medicine... wtf

Well, that, plus it's part of the broader quackery I've seen a lot of on here that is out of touch with both the average Argentine and reality: Anti-vaccines, eat organic GMO free goji berries to treat cancer, people don't need X medication, ivermectin, etc.

There is without a doubt a link between poor diets (whether it's eating all refined sugar, processed food, fast food, etc.) and poor health outcomes, but a fad diet won't cure sickle cell anemia, or make up for the fact that people living along the Matanza River have been poisoned for decades.

Poverty and poor eduction also play a huge role in health outcomes too. If you're living on 80K pesos a month you might not even have a kitchen in your apartment, and if you didn't finish high school, or were simply passed grades as is common in Provincia then you might not even know what dietary fiber or B12 is.

Every single person on this forum has an increasing amount of privilege compared to the average person we encounter in our daily lives in Argentina. Whether it's income/wealth, education, or access to health care, and I think some of us forget that because we may have struggled previously in our past, or don't live in a Barrio Cerado presently so we think we're not doing as well as we really are compared to most people.

It was chilly last week when I was in Quilmes and I saw kids burning plastic trash bags to stay warm; no matter how well they eat will make up for inhaling all that literal garbage and plastic, and I hope in the future they don't need to chose between medicine and food when they need treatment for whatever damage that is doing to their bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back