Food Revolution Summit -- April 30 - May 8, 2016

jantango

Registered
You can listen to the online broadcasts live at 12pm, 1pm, and 2pm BA time or the replays until the next day's broadcast.

http://summit2016.foodrevolution.org/replays/

http://summit2016.foodrevolution.org/broadcasts/

Tuesday, May 3: The Science of Healthy Eating
At 8 am Pacific time (11 am Eastern, 3 pm GMT), you’ll hear from Joel Fuhrman, MD on How To Eat To Live. Dr. Fuhrman is a board-certified family physician and nutritional researcher who specializes in preventing and reversing disease through nutritional and natural methods. Through his New York Times bestselling books and his wildly popular PBS specials, he brings nutritional science to homes around the world. He’ll show you how you can eat to radically reduce your odds of getting cancer, reverse serious disease, optimize your health, and push the envelope of human longevity.

Then at 9 am Pacific time, you’ll hear from Mark Hyman, MD, on What Science Says About The Foods You Eat. Dr. Hyman is a family physician, a 10-time New York Times bestselling author, and director of the Cleveland Center for Functional Health. Dr. Hyman will give you scientifically grounded insights into critical food topics including what the healthiest paleo and vegan eaters have in common, the right and wrong way to eat soy, and more.

At 10 am Pacific time, you’ll hear from Neal Barnard, MD on How to Kickstart Your Health. Dr. Barnard serves as an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, and as president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. He’s led numerous groundbreaking research studies investigating the effects of diet on diabetes, body weight, and chronic pain. You’ll get his latest breaking insights, and learn how a plant-based diet influences your body weight, blood glucose, and lipids, and how to create and stick with an eating pattern that ensures your optimal health.

Yesterday Andrew Kimbrell gave a talk on The Truth About Genetically Engineered Food (still available on replay until noon BA time). There is a local organization that meets every 25th of the month in front of the national congress protesting the use of pesticides and GMOs by Monsanto, Syngenta, BASF, Dupont, Cargill, Nidera, Dow, and Bayer in Argentina.

hasta que se vaya Monsanto on Facebook

U.S. Senator Cory Booker is speaking this hour about the insane food policy in the USA. Tune in now or hear the replay.

Today's speakers:

At noon BA time, hear from David Katz, MD on The Optimal Diet for Human Beings.
Dr. Katz is a nutritionist, author, and a globally recognized authority on nutrition, weight control, and the prevention of chronic disease. He is the founding director of Yale University's Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center and the president of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. You’ll discover the real reason so many people are confused about what foods are healthy – and what an overwhelming body of medical research really tells us about the optimal diet for human beings.

Then at 1pm BA time, you’ll hear from Michael Klaper, MD, on Healing Foods: Our Best Hope For a Livable World.
Forty years ago, Dr. Klaper was giving patients anesthesia for surgeries when he started wondering why they were getting sick in the first place. He discovered that much illness and premature death could be prevented with good nutrition. For four decades since, Michael has made whole foods plant-strong nutrition the cornerstone of his medical practice, and he’s had the joy of helping tens of thousands of his patients to thrive. Michael’s passion, insight, and tangible recommendations will inspire and empower you on the path to good nutrition and vibrant health.

At 2pm BA time, you’ll hear from Marion Nestle, Ph.D on Taking On Big Soda (And Winning!)
Dr. Nestle is the Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University and the author of many books, including Food Politics, and her most recent release, Soda Politics: Taking on Big Soda (And Winning). Marion has served as senior nutrition policy advisor in the Department of Health and Human Services, and as a member of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. She knows first-hand how food policy is really determined (hint: it’s not guided by science or the public interest!), and she knows what you can do about it. Marion will expose food industry secrets, and show how we can save millions of lives by putting what we know into action.

live stream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1cX_L8g4-8

Noon to 3pm BA time.

Today’s topic is: Eating For A Healthy World: How Your Food Choices Affect The Future Of Life On Earth.

At 8 AM Pacific time (11 AM Eastern, 3 PM GMT), you’ll hear from Gene Baur on How Compassion Can Change Your Life.
Farm Sanctuary founder Gene Baur has been hailed as the conscience of the food movement by Time magazine. A leading pioneer in the field of undercover investigations, Gene has conducted hundreds of visits to farms, stockyards, and slaughterhouses to document conditions. He’ll touch your heart and inspire your spirit with the wondrous truth about animals, and how living with compassion can make you more fully human.

Then at 9 AM Pacific time, you’ll hear from Ronnie Cummins on why we need to Cook Organic, Not The Planet.
Ronnie Cummins is the founder and director of the Organic Consumers Association (OCA), a nonprofit network of several million consumers who are dedicated to safeguarding organic standards and promoting a healthy, just, and sustainable system of agriculture and commerce. Ronnie will reveal why organic food is essential to feeding the world’s growing populations, and how food production can sequester carbon in the soil to fight and even reverse climate change.

At 10 AM Pacific time, you’ll hear from Vandana Shiva, Ph.D, on how to Stand Up For Your Future.
Dr. Vandana Shiva is a world-renowned environmental leader and thinker. She’s director of the Research Foundation on Science, Technology, and Ecology, and the founder of Navdanya (nine seeds), a movement promoting diversity and use of native seeds. Forbes named her “one of the 7 most influential feminists in the world,” and Time selected her as an “environmental hero.” You’ll discover real solutions for fighting poverty and hunger, and how your food choices can contribute to a thriving, just and sustainable future for all.

A video posted two years ago on this forum brought my attention to the conditions under which animals are raised for human consumption. I stopped eating meat that day. As of a year ago, I eat a whole food planted based diet without any animal products.

Today I viewed a video about the damage that glyphosate by Monsanto is causing in Chaco, Argentina. Children are born with birth defects when mothers are exposed to the chemicals during pregnancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_Wo37N2YY

Does seem that not everyone agrees:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/05/02/italian-homeless-would-rather-go-hungry-than-eat-vegan/?intcmp=hpff

Not everyone agrees with the video about Monsanto either.
As some of us know there is great non-compliance in Argentina with the spraying of herbicides especially in the northeastern provinces
From 2001 'til about 2012 I had as clients several gov't appointed lawyers who worked in the defense of people accussed of crimes who were unable to pay
It was necessary to read and discuss legal cases in English from the U.S. and other countries in order to attain greater insight
One case in particular has stood out in my mind.It was a freelance pilot in the Chaco,I believe, who had been hired for spraying and was told to mix with the glyphosate with other poisons
to make the spray more potent not only that but to ignore the laws about spraying too close to populated areas..Believe it or not this was a fairly common violation here for years,
The pilot became seriously ill from his contact this mixture and was fired by his employer.He was being treated in a public hospital here in B.A. and suing his former employer.
I do not say that Monsanto is totally free of all blame.However,there are a WHOLE LOT of extenuating circumstances that have yet to come to light in these situations.

I do not say that Monsanto is totally free of all blame.However,there are a WHOLE LOT of extenuating circumstances that have yet to come to light in these situations.

I have no first-hand information on this, but have heard repeatedly that the problems stemmed from bad application, not the Monsanto product, per se. Given that the products are widely used in many places without incident it would seem likely that that is the case.

EJLarson.
What you have said is exactly the point of argument I used on another thread on this subject some months ago.
The exact same product has been in use in Brazil,Paraguay and,I believe,Uruguay for about the same time.To the very best of my knowledge there has not been ONE such problem reported in ANY of the aforementioned countries
In Brazil there is a problem of % of profit that should go to the farmer but,that's it.
There is also talk here in Argentina of improving gov't.-Monsanto relations but I have yet to get a good handle on that.
Maybe some "arrepentido -plea bargainer" from the video case will step forward to turn state evidence.OMG,that would spin all those Monsanto haters into a real tizzy.

If you missed the Food Revolution Summit or want to hear the talks again, they are available this weekend only. http://summit2016.foodrevolution.org/broadcasts/

Back