For those of you who are fluent..how good or bad is your Castellano accent?

Can’t see the point in trying to sound like a porteño. It’s probably quite obvious that I’m foreign. Although I’ve had people guess where I’m from and had everything from Yanqui to Turkish to Spanish and a few others in between. No one had guessed British as far as I remember.

i'm not fluent, but no matter how hard i try i will always sound like a yanqui.

The Goal should be to learn Spanish NEUTRO. Porteño accent is not favored Elsewhere. Mexican Telenovelas don't accept it.
A multitude of Spanish accents coexist in CABA, Bolivianos, Peruanos, Venezolanos, Argentinos del Interior!, Mendocinos, etc.

The use of the Imperative form accented on the last syllable is not popular elsewhere.
Venì
Hablà
Mirà
etc.

Wrong accent..!

Last edited:
If a foreigner tried to speak English with an affected London accent I’d probably think he or she was a bit of a fool. I’d imagine it would be the same for me trying to speak like a porteño.
Boludo

Learning Spanish in Argentina is like someone wanting to learn English in rural Kentucky of the US. Honestly, and ironically, even the Spanish of Spain (the original Spanish) is not very relevant anymore, as the mainstream is, as mentioned in a previous post, neutral Spanish.

Learning Spanish in Argentina is like someone wanting to learn English in rural Kentucky of the US. Honestly, and ironically, even the Spanish of Spain (the original Spanish) is not very relevant anymore, as the mainstream is, as mentioned in a previous post, neutral Spanish.

Or like learning English from watching the Sopranos to reproduce the Italian inflection of Argentine Spanish.

Che boludo! sounds a lot like, Bada bing, bada boom!

I've said this before in this forum when you had asked the same question: when Dustin is using porteño slang, words and phrases he knows very well, his accent is very good. But if you go to YouTube and watch a TV interview with him, his accent is not so good because in a real conversation he's outside his comfort zone and having to manage so many more linguistic elements.

Back