For those of you who are fluent..how good or bad is your Castellano accent?

The "proper name" of what you call "proper Spanish" is actually Iberian or Peninsular Spanish/Castilian. And it is also not a single dialect, but a name that refers to the dialects spoken in Spain (there are at least 7). It is not just Argentineans that have the problem you describe - a person from Málaga who speaks Andalusian Spanish has a hard time making themselves understood in Madrid too. The dialects are very different.

Yeah, no. This guy is 90% incomprehensible to me. I get literally 1 word in 10, if that. It sounds to me like an extreme vulgate, spoken at trans-sonic speed.

Haha! My parents are from Glasgow. (Castlemilk and Easterhouse). Despite being from Los Angeles I had an accent until I was 8. To this day I’m one of a few people from the United States that can understand fluent Glaswegian
I met a Glaswegian at an art opening in Buenos Aires a couple of years ago, and could barely understand a word he was saying in "english" or spanish. Very nice guy, though, and a good artist. He was doing a residency at an arts space in Parque Patricio, here for a month or two. He did turn me onto some pretty good Glaswegian DJ's, though.

Yeah, no. This guy is 90% incomprehensible to me. I get literally 1 word in 10, if that. It sounds to me like an extreme vulgate, spoken at trans-sonic speed.

That's how they speak in Almería and what speakers of the Eastern Andalusian dialect generally sound like. It's one of the dialects of Spain. I assume a porteño speaking at regular speed will sound equally incomprehensible to someone who is not familiar with the dialect, or a Madrileño speaking in their Northern Castilian dialect (where they pronounce the last "d" in words at "z," for instance "Madriz"), or any speaker of any dialect for that matter.

Not until I studied Arabic did I realize the how much the Andalusian accent still has a discernible Arabic intonation centuries after the Reconquista. Almost no breaks between words and sentences. There are other things too, like the way a J or soft G is are sometimes pronounced, which is very close to the خ kh in Arabic or chaf in Hebrew, where it sounds like they're coughing up flem.

I'm a native speaker, but I'll never forget the first time I asked someone for directions in Córdoba, Spain. The nice man replied: 'om'retequedado'cuadra'pa'lla.

Not until I studied Arabic did I realize the how much the Andalusian accent still has a discernible Arabic intonation centuries after the Reconquista. Almost no breaks between words and sentences. There are other things too, like the way a J or soft G is are sometimes pronounced, which is very close to the خ kh in Arabic or chaf in Hebrew, where it sounds like they're coughing up flem.

I'm a native speaker, but I'll never forget the first time I asked someone for directions in Córdoba, Spain. The nice man replied: 'om'retequedado'cuadra'pa'lla.

As a teacher of languages, I find that quite interesting. Particularly so given that nearly half of my students speak Arabic as their L1.

According to my students, Arabs of the Gulf States find Arabs of western North Africa, (Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco), utterly incomprehensible, and vice versa. They actually have to fall back on Classical Arabic in order to communicate.

Brings to memory a similar experience in London . I show a caby driver an address written on a piece of paper showing where I wanted to go (BlueBall Square)

He read the address glanced at me and answered with a smirk "You can spit on it" I was ready to punch his face when I was told what it meant..! You all know?

The "proper name" of what you call "proper Spanish" is actually Iberian or Peninsular Spanish/Castilian. And it is also not a single dialect, but a name that refers to the dialects spoken in Spain (there are at least 7). It is not just Argentineans that have the problem you describe - a person from Málaga who speaks Andalusian Spanish has a hard time making themselves understood in Madrid too. The dialects are very different.

Very interesting topic... The historic records say that Colon enrolled a great number of Andalusian crew members in the 3 Vessels ..! These Andalusian men were Marranos jews that converted by the sword to christianity and left the Country. Some practiced Judaism in private, It was a mortal sin . If caught the Inquisition would burn you alive head down...i

Chilean Colonial history claims that The Spaniards that came to Chile with the founder don Pedro de Valdivia, 1541 , and later on, were also convertedd jews from Andalucia..! That explains why the Chileno accent that omits the s and d at the end of a word , like in Andalusian dialect

"Lo cantao y lo bailao no ne lo quita naiden" saying from Sevilla..

Or as they say here Se comen las Eses , sin H ja

Back