For those overstaying....

PS to my previous post: If I remember correctly, in the past it was only possible to ask for the prorroga no more than 10 days prior to the expiration of the 90 day visa and the new 90 days begins the day the prorroga is approved. That meant that the first 90 days visa would have actually been for a period of less than 90 days. This is something for those reading this post to keep in mind when (if ever) life returns to normal and individuals are granted 90 day "tourist visas" on entry that actualy expire in 90 days.

I am not sure if it is possible to apply for a prorroga prior to March 10th or if it can be one on line at this time.

Last edited:
I still wonder where the March 20 date comes from. According to this page, the overstay permitted regulations for those with documentation regular on March 17, 2020, is still in effect (like it was frozen) and is supposed to remain so while the pandemia situation continues: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/migraciones/covid-19 . What has changed or will change as to as to the upcoming March 20 date? Are the extra periods of freezing going to be removed by changed regualtions? Does anybody know what is happening over the next few weeks?

Mountainboy needs readying lessons. I have no inside info on anything. I left the country today and Avianca would not process me because they did not know that any overstay...could just leave. At least starting a year ago. Then I went to migraccion...the normal check out process....and THEY did not know the new ruling and had to go and get permission to let me leave. But for 3 months....I will be gone. Hope the border is open by then.

My guess is immigration were talking about the previous automatic extension ending which will very likely be extended automatically this month.

I still wonder where the March 20 date comes from. According to this page, the overstay permitted regulations for those with documentation regular on March 17, 2020, is still in effect (like it was frozen) and is supposed to remain so while the pandemia situation continues: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/migraciones/covid-19 . What has changed or will change as to as to the upcoming March 20 date? Are the extra periods of freezing going to be removed by changed regualtions? Does anybody know what is happening over the next few weeks?
There is a DNU that declares the emergency for 1 year that expires then.

There is a DNU that declares the emergency for 1 year that expires then.

Ahh, thanks. I wonder about the effect of that. Does that render the Migraciones regulations ineffective as to the visa/other documents freeze? I do not think they would be related, but I do not know

Back