For those thinking of coming

jayjane

Registered
Let me preface this by saying I really do enjoy living here but, I also have a lot of advantages being married to a local and being able to speak a decent level of Spanish.

We have been back and forth a lot in the past. Going back and forth it is hard to get a grasp on what is going on. Now that we are living here it is really apparent that prices have gone up alarmingly. Unless, you are getting paid in currency from back home (U.S./England etc) likely you won't be able to afford the things you used to. I am not only talking about luxury items either. Our last trip to the grocery store for larger and household items sucked. I actually found myself agonizing over the choices for simple purchases.

Since I have been here this time I have talked to some expats that are prepared for the challenges and I commend you. I also spoke with many who aren't. A lot tend to be "in the clouds" about the possibility of staying here a long while even as they are going broke spending their savings. If you are studying abroad or planning to come for a little while, there is a lot to enjoy. If you are thinking of a move, I really do recommend waiting or going somewhere else unless you have a solid reason. I am writing all this because I really do feel for some of the people coming down here with no real understanding of the situation. It isn't fun to find out the hard way.

I think Argentina remains a solid option for many expats - just not the same ones as previously.

Two key examples: independent workers earning in other currencies OR people who are probably a few years out of their 20s and have some passive income-generating sources (real estate, securities) - even if they still need to work/earn pesos.

Other than people who just decide it's not for them or can't adapt, the main reason I find people leave or are dramatically unprepared is that they are in fact underfunded. So while BA is not the place to come to live for cheap and speaking English isn't a particularly valuable skill, financially, it is still a great city that does provide strong value for the lifestyle it offers.

I think for all the talking we do around the subject, it comes down to: you don't get something for nothing. BA is simply no longer that place. Don't come thinking otherwise or planning to make your fortune here unless you have an actual business plan/model and funding to do it.

"Alarmingly?" I think that's an exaggeration. A bag of pasta at a Chinese-owned Supermarket is going to run you $2.00, maybe $2.50 USD. In most cases, it's cheaper here than in the United States. I bought four avocados yesterday for $3.00 USD. In the United States, they would cost me about $1.00 each. Two "plantas" of lettuce cost me $.50 USD. In the U.S., a bag of lettuce would run me $2 USD or $4.00. Olive oil is $10 USD for a liter. Shredded cheese is $2.25 USD. Canned food is all reasonably priced.

Prices have gone up. Some things are more expensive than they should be. 2.5 liter bottles of Coke are about $2.50 USD, for example. But we're in no state of emergency, as I feel the first post above seems to imply.

Zissou I agree it is different if you are financially prepared. I guess I should say my post is directed at those in their 20s and maybe even early 30s who are thinking of coming without much of a plan. I am in my late 20s and I see a lot of my generation anxious and always looking for a bigger, better deal. Can't blame 'em. We grew up with new, newer, & best technology and consumerism on steroids. Truthfully, we've had it pretty good. I see people my age making the decision to come here or go abroad for the wrong reasons all too often. This is meant for those people to read because it is easy to read this board and think the grass is greener.

bradlyhale said:
"Alarmingly?"

Yes, I would say it is alarming. I've been popping in and out of BA for the past 5 years. If prices went up as much as they have here in the U.S. we'd be going crazy talking about inflation. At first I noticed it just a little every trip back. This past time I was away for quite a while before we moved back and I didn't entirely believe things had gone up as much as everyone said unti, I got here. A taxi ride costs me double what it used to, electronics have always been expensive but now, forget about it, clothes are much much more expensive than in the U.S. They used to be a better deal. Women's products like decent shampoo, lotion, etc are very expensive now. Health insurance if you use it has gone up several hundred percent in the past few years. There is a reason there are a lot of articles about the inflation here. Yes, some things are still less but, that doesn't mean they haven't gone up too. For those getting paid in a foreign currency it is probably a little less of a problem. I can tell you nearly all my Argentine friends have felt it too and have had to adjust their lifestyle. For locals it has really become more expensive than it used to be.

If the only reason to move to another country is the "bargain" factor, that is a bad move from the beginning. Of course is an added value, but there are other factors that should influence your decisions. There are many other countries your dollar will go further but also living conditions will be totally different to the ones you are used to it.
I have no medical insurance, and I just finished some studies that included an MRI. The MRI was AR$665. (about us$163) the same test in USA would be about us$2000. I believ with an Argentina medical insurance was probably less than half (of the AR$665) If you own property in Argentina, do the math as well, back at home property taxes, insurance, maintenance, utility bills... how much that would be? I think with all these savings alone you can compensate the prices alone in food or other inflation going around. It would be good for someone to put a comparable chart on all those big expensive items between places abroad and here.
Another note. Expats magazines, blogs and newspapers still mention the financial benefits of living in Argentina and other countries alike.

By comparing the prices to the US you should not forget that the prices of consuming products are very cheap in the US compared to the rest of the world, especially Europe. I am German and for me clothes are still cheaper here in BA, especially sports brands like Nike etc. In the big European cities like London, Madrid, Rome or Paris you pay a lot for apartments, like in New York. In Germany a monthly ticket for using metros and bus in your city is about 100€, electricity is about 80€ per months for a single household, not to talk about driving a car. Cinema in Germany is between 8 and 10€ per person, entrance to museums 6-10€. Health insurance is a duty, minimum 150 per months. These are Euro-prices, keep that in mind, 1€ is about 1,45 US$.
There are many problems here in Argentina for foreigners, but I think not because of the prices at the moment. Let´s hope they will not go on raising like in the past year, otherwise we will have real problems here in this beautifull country which I really like a lot.

Looking in the streets and at the people I see much more individuality and creativity here, much more people being real humans, that is what I love the most here. I find air to breath in Argentina, if somebody knows what I mean.

Another note. Expats magazines, blogs and newspapers still mention the financial benefits of living in Argentina and other countries alike.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason for this is that they cater a lot to those making foreign currencies. The reality is a lot of people living here are being paid in pesos and a lot of newcomers I am talking about are also being paid in pesos.

I think the original poster makes some good points, but I find this whole comparison of here to back home somewhat irrelevant. Basically it boils down to your individual situation. If you are coming from someplace else and bring your income along you'll probably be doing OK. Much better perhaps than in some of the very expensive cities in Europe and North America, really not any better when compared to average U.S. today. If you are trying to make it on a local income you will be lucky if you have a hand to mouth existence finding it harder and harder to make ends meet. If the inflation continues it will be harder and harder for the I brought my income with me expats to justify staying, cost of living is an important factor in quality of life. Sure its more expensive in NYC but people also make a lot more money there, B.A. is cheaper than NYC but the vast majority of expats would head to the airport tomorrow if they had to live on the average salary in B.A. I think its as simple as that.

Back