For Those Waiting For Their Dnis

sesamosinsal

Registered
Hello everyone,

So, today I finally organized a day off work to go look for the piece of plastic that says I'm a resident in Argentina. I wanted to post about my experience here to help any of you who find yourselves in a similar situation to avoid the same problems that I had today.

For months, I've been monitoring my case via the website. The online case tracker throws this information up when I search for my case:
flecha.gif
Expediente:
xxxx
flecha.gif
Fecha de Nacimiento:
xxxx
flecha.gif
Apellido/s:
xxxx
flecha.gif
Nombre/s:
xxxx
flecha.gif
Estado
: Su trámite fue resuelto el 29/05/2013
flecha.gif
Disposición:
xxx
flecha.gif
Delegación:
SEDE CENTRAL - Av. Antártida Argentina 1355
flecha.gif
Enviado a CENTRO DE DOC. Y ARCHIVO (Deptos. Dep. De La Inst. Sup. - Direccion General De Administracion)

So, from that, I just assumed that they were still taking their sweet time to send it to me. I never received any notice that they had attempted to deliver it to me, and their (erroneous) computer system said that the "location" — of what exactly? I just assumed it to be my DNI — was some obscure department of DNM down in Retiro.

Tired of waiting, I went there this morning, and asked. At "Informes" (Building 6), they told me that I needed to go to Hipólito Yrigoyen 952. They gave me a piece of paper with the address, and the hours: 8 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It was 12:30 or so, and I thought, great, I'll go down there and see if it's there.

So, I arrive, and I go to reception, get a number, and wait. Almost no one is there, and they have about 5 people standing around, drinking tea, talking about the weekend — you know, just a clear cut case of everyone's taxes hard at work. After 3 minutes, a young woman screams (literally) "quien sigue", and the four of us sitting down just look at each other blankly. After all, they gave us numbers so that we didn't have to stand in line... Anyway, eventually I get called. She writes down my DNI number, and tells me that I'll have to go to YET ANOTHER office to actually pick up my card. She gives me a piece of paper with the address: Jujuy 468 in Once.

And then I saw this place's hours: 8 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. I look at my phone, and it's already 1:30 p.m.

So, today was a total waste of time. For any of you who find yourselves in the same situation with the same message on the DNM website, don't even bother going to Retiro. Just head to the office on Hipólito Yrigoyen 952, inquire about the status of your DNI, and see what they say. If I had known just to go there, I would (maybe) have my DNI today, and not have to take more time off work.

Does anyone know if I can leave the country with just my DNI number and passport?

Thanks!

When I applied about 8 months ago for a new DNI, I did it at [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hipólito Yrigoyen 952. They gave me a piece of paper that said that it if didn't come in 30 days to go to Jujuy 468. Eventually mine did show up in the mail, after about 70 days. But I went twice to Jujuy looking for it. In both cases, I was attended rapidly and the women were able to check the status. I would suggest that people looking for DNIs that are supposedly in process to go there first.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

When I applied about 8 months ago for a new DNI, I did it at [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Hipólito Yrigoyen 952. They gave me a piece of paper that said that it if didn't come in 30 days to go to Jujuy 468. Eventually mine did show up in the mail, after about 70 days. But I went twice to Jujuy looking for it. In both cases, I was attended rapidly and the women were able to check the status. I would suggest that people looking for DNIs that are supposedly in process to go there first.[/background]

Hi Florence! Your case is a bit different than mine, though. If I assume correctly, you already had a DNI, and you needed to just update/renew your ID/DNI, right? In other words, you kept your DNI number. Right? In my case, I just applied for residency, had it granted, and I was waiting to receive my DNI. So, I didn't know my number.

According to the woman at Hipolito Yrigoyen, I had to come there "sí o sí" because they can't see the DNI numbers in Retiro -- I can't imagine that, but that's what she said. In order to retrieve the DNI from Jujuy 468, you supposedly have to know your (DNI) number first.

My last question still stands, though: Can I travel abroad with just my DNI number, expired precaria (the only "official" documentation I have at this point) and my US passport? Does anyone know?

Are you asking if you can travel as in "If I travelled would my permanent residency be cancelled?" or are you asking if they'd give you some sort of trouble at immigration when coming back?

If its the former, you can travel. You already have a DNI number and hence you have permanent residency, which only expires or is nullified if you're out of the country for more than two years. As for collecting the DNI, when I got my DNI, the portero could have picked it up for me if I gave him the little paper. Not sure if its the same in your case. Either way, you can come back and go to the office and pick the thing up.

If you're asking in the latter case then yes, they could ask you a bunch of questions regarding your status but if you speak Spanish well then you can have a little "talk" with them since the reality is that they would just need your DNI number to check your status on the computer to let you in.

The best case scenario though for you would be to go tomorrow to the office the lady told you to go to and get your DNI so you're not worried about any of the ill scenarios.

Thanks for this! I have been waiting on mine to come for about three months now, and was just about to go on a search for it.

I travelled out of the country with just my DNI number (no card) and passport (NZ), and didn't have any problems. I took a photocopy of all the papers confirming my DNI with me. The guy looked it over but didn't ask any questions. But it's Argentina so you never know!

Good luck and thanks again for the advice

Thanks for this! I have been waiting on mine to come for about three months now, and was just about to go on a search for it.

I travelled out of the country with just my DNI number (no card) and passport (NZ), and didn't have any problems. I took a photocopy of all the papers confirming my DNI with me. The guy looked it over but didn't ask any questions. But it's Argentina so you never know!

Good luck and thanks again for the advice

You're welcome! I think the number you might be referring to is the CUIM, and my CUIM is completely different from my DNI. You probably traveled with your precaria. If you have been waiting for about three months, the precaria should be expiring soon. The precaria is valid for 90 days, and it allows you to come and go without any problems.

My situation is slightly different. My precaria is no longer valid, but I have residency and I was provided my DNI number today. I just couldn't get my ID card. :( I imagine if I bring my passport, my DNI number, and the precaria (even though it's expired), it will be OK. But you're right, this is Argentina... I think I might try to swing by Monday morning and grab it.

I made an appointment for my new DNI in the early morning went that same day morning...at 10am --- it was empty went to -- Paseo Colon...in the building for 15 minutes..... I think I did pay for the rapid service...I cant remember.... they told me 7 days max...... they took my cell phone number even sending me a text that is was on its way ..the mail guy showed at my apt. door... ..it was delivered to my door in 5 days....
best argentina experience i have had so far!!!! better than the USA!! haha.. I must have gotten lucky!!!

Hi Florence! Your case is a bit different than mine, though. If I assume correctly, you already had a DNI, and you needed to just update/renew your ID/DNI, right? In other words, you kept your DNI number. Right? In my case, I just applied for residency, had it granted, and I was waiting to receive my DNI. So, I didn't know my number.

According to the woman at Hipolito Yrigoyen, I had to come there "sí o sí" because they can't see the DNI numbers in Retiro -- I can't imagine that, but that's what she said. In order to retrieve the DNI from Jujuy 468, you supposedly have to know your (DNI) number first.

My last question still stands, though: Can I travel abroad with just my DNI number, expired precaria (the only "official" documentation I have at this point) and my US passport? Does anyone know?

You are right. I did already have a DNI number and was getting it renewed. As I recall, I had a piece of paper, a receipt from the application that had a number on it, and they used that to check on the progress. In any event, I hope yours come through soon.

Back