Foreign credit card and ID #

pixer12

Registered
Since I've arrived in Argentina I've been using my passport number with my American credit card whenever I am asked for my document number.

Does that mean the credit card is now locked to that number for purchases in Argentina?

Like, if I try to use my American driver's license # instead (nearly had to the other night when they wouldn't take my passport number without the actual passport in hand) or a DNI when I finally get one, will the card terminal reject the alternate identifier?

Since I've arrived in Argentina I've been using my passport number with my American credit card whenever I am asked for my document number.

Does that mean the credit card is now locked to that number for purchases in Argentina?

Like, if I try to use my American driver's license # instead (nearly had to the other night when they wouldn't take my passport number without the actual passport in hand) or a DNI when I finally get one, will the card terminal reject the alternate identifier?
Use your US driver's license as your ID the next time you make a CC purchase and you will know the answer. 🤠

I believe that the foreign credit card is not verified with either your passport number or your driver's license number. They simply collect this information due to legal requirements.

They probably make sure you look like the person on the photo ID, but I doubt there is any automatic verification beyond that.

Last edited:

No, nothing like that. They simply have a form to fill in the DNI every time you make a purchase with a credit card here. It's for the tax authorities. Since you are a foreigner, they will type in any number you have on a document you present. Most times any document will do. The Coto shops have been annoying though requesting passport and not being happy with other documents, others are more flexible.

Paying with a card in general is not a good idea. My card was swiped and someone started to pay bills in France with that card, so I had to cancel it. Prefer cash, it's safer.

No, nothing like that. They simply have a form to fill in the DNI every time you make a purchase with a credit card here. It's for the tax authorities. Since you are a foreigner, they will type in any number you have on a document you present. Most times any document will do. The Coto shops have been annoying though requesting passport and not being happy with other documents, others are more flexible.

Paying with a card in general is not a good idea. My card was swiped and someone started to pay bills in France with that card, so I had to cancel it. Prefer cash, it's safer.
You mean physically stolen or stole the data or?
The word "swiped" is uncertain in this context.

You mean physically stolen or stole the data or?
The word "swiped" is uncertain in this context.
Swiped as in they copied his card info, then made a duplicate card abroad and started running charges on it

Back