Foreigners Cannot Buy Travel In Pesos??

dennisr

Registered
Does this say what I think it says: Foreigners cannot buy travel packages ( airline tickets ) in pesos?..

http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/175788-Ahora-las-restricciones-llegan-al-turista-extranjero-no-podr-pagar-paquetes-y-pasajes-en-pesos

"Es decir, de ahora en más, los extranjeros o argentinos no residentes que lleguen a la Argentina no podrán comprar ni pasajes al exterior o domésticos ni cualquier otro servicio turístico local o fuera del país a agencias en pesos."

That's what the interpretation seems to be.

EDIT:

Rough translation (if anyone needs it):

"It's to say, from now on, non resident foreigners or Argentines that come to Argentina can not buy international or domestic airline tickets nor any other international or domestic tourist service from agencies in pesos."

If I understood this right, this shouldn't affect direct hotel bookings since the thing seems to only be directed at travel agencies:

...el Banco Central dio a conocer una nueva comunicación que establece más restricciones para las agencias de viajes.

Can anyone confirm my interpretation?

Hmmm....however, does that mean if I have a tourist business I have to charge in foreign currency? Say I have a tour company, taking people round the city on a skateboard or whatever whacky idea...I have to charge in dollars, euros, pounds & reals?

Sounds ok for the local tour operators.

there is another thread with the same subject. Lodging Means HOTEL, excursions , etc

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]WOW... only in foreign currency for all tourist services even local hotels or tourist services...?? City Tour or Sr, Tango...!! bike rental, restaurants?? taxi's ?? Must carry CC at al times!![/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Communication 5499 , which came into full force and provides access to the local exchange market by transport companies and local tourism for the purchase of foreign exchange for services sold to nonresident travelers for international travel [/background]and service tourism in the country and abroad , will be conditional on the payment of such benefits by the relevant local company , be made ​​by credit card and / or debit cards issued abroad , foreign exchange transfers from outside checks on accounts abroad and / or foreign currency banknotes .
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]That is, from now on , foreigners or non Argentine residents arriving to Argentina can not buy or passages abroad or domestic , or any other service or local tourist agencies abroad in pesos. Ie , they can only do it in dollars or another currency.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)][font=Droid Sans'][font=Helvetica Neue']Thus , it aims to avoid some strategies used by foreign visitors , especially from neighboring countries, [font=Helvetica Neue']which changed its foreign exchange dollars into pesos in the parallel market to lower their costs of lodging, excursions or other services within Argentina .[/font].[/font][/background][/font][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

At the same time, a local travel agency does not need to "access the local foreign exchange market to buy a currency" if this agency sells an airplane ticket between Bs As & Bariloche, or not?

Mhhh weird

At the same time, a local travel agency does not need to "access the local foreign exchange market to buy a currency" if this agency sells an airplane ticket between Bs As & Bariloche, or not?

Mhhh weird

Read the previous message all domestic touristic Services,,,, even the City Tour.... will it be enforced?

Read the previous message all domestic touristic Services,,,, even the City Tour.... will it be enforced?

Its not that hard to enforce City Tours and all these services if that's the interpretation used by AFIP and Banco Central.

About four years ago, my sister in law who is Argentine but not a resident in Argentina, went to buy the Buenos Aires bus ticket and she was charged the rate for foreigners (not sure what the difference was). She said, "But I'm an Argentine." They said, "yes but you're not a resident here according to your DNI."

That was a rate difference in pesos. This is about the government's grubby hands regarding dollars.

So will it be enforced? Yes, definitely.

How? The same way AFIP's enforced their dollar selling restrictions throughout the whole country on casas de cambios and banks.

Will this end up fueling the parallel market? Definitely.

Back