Forget The Spaghetti, I’Ll Have The Noodles, Instant Ramens

Hybrid Ambassador

Registered
Chinese tourists on front of Italy's Florence Gucci store eats instant cup Ramen meanwhile awaiting
for the store to open.
The Italians and bypassers were horrified in seeing the group of Chinese tourists eating or slurping those noodle soups brought with them for Europe travels, they eat the Ramens so to economise their money so to be able to buy more designers goods..

Snaps of mainland tourists slurping instant noodles in front of a Gucci store in Florence went viral online recently, causing many Italian web users to mock Chinese eating habits. Few could understand the mainland customers' behavior since they spent generously on luxury goods but were too stingy or afraid to try local food. However, after the news was reported in China, some netizens rushed to defend the old ladies, claiming that they could hardly be blamed for being unaccustomed to "rare Italian beef." With an increasing number of Chinese traveling abroad, any behavior considered inappropriate by locals can end up being singled out as misconduct that shames all their compatriots. Earlier, Chinese President Xi Jinping called upon netizens to eat less instant noodles when visiting foreign countries and to enjoy local food culture. As delicious as noodles are, perhaps Chinese visitors should try carpaccio!

bkncn-20150209171757165-0209_05011_001_01p.jpg

save money to buy designer goods > die thinking that ramen noodles have any nutritional value > relatives sell your designer goods for a neat profit after you die.
Good deal for the suckers that just get a "My __ went to Italy and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" ;)

I guess Hybrid Ambassador is trying once again to convince us how the Mainland Chinese are the most refined and admirable people on Earth instead of a giant sore on its face
What does Bajo Cero have to say?

Amusing article about this phenomenon here-
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/04/18/the-grand-tour
The chinese spend big bucks to travel to Europe, and see the required "sights".
But they stay in the cheapest hotels possible, usually out near the airport, and then, they eat chinese food exclusively- the article describes a series of chinese restaurants in most every European city that nobody who lives there even know exist- but they serve ample quantities of familiar homestyle food.

I imagine a similar network of secret Argentine restaurants around Italy, serving Sorrentinos, Fugazetta, and Milanesa, with lots of Dulce de Leche- after all, they have already proved the concept in Uruguay.

It's really not that different from American tourists (families) in the 80s or so visiting Europe, staying in (US) English speaking tours to see the required sites and then eating at Mc Donalds,

It's really not that different from American tourists (families) in the 80s or so visiting Europe, staying in (US) English speaking tours to see the required sites and then eating at Mc Donalds,

Much more recently (2005), I remember being surprised to see hoards of tourists (origins unknown) chomping on the Big Macs as I walked into the plaza in front of the Pantheon in Rome.

Fortunatley, "real" Italian pizza was also available in the plaza.

Perhaps they were stricken they couldn't find a Domino's

I work in tourism. It is a known fact that Chinese tourists on the whole only eat Chinese food when traveling, most time going to only Chinese restaurants. While they do spend money in luxury shops, that is basically it! The Japanese do indeed go to local restaurants, especially up-scale ones in cities like London and Paris. They also often shop in luxury shops as well as shops ONLY for Japanese(shops of souvenirs, etc not Gucci, Dior, etc!) This is also something which occurs with some Chinese.
There are many shops I have seen that open only for Chinese-speaking tourists, accept Yuan and have only signs in Chinese.
This being said, the Czechs who travel in hoards to sea-side destinations in Croatia also spend almost no money in local establishments. They will drive to Croatia with their trunks(boots) and back seats or any other empty space filled with food and drink. Recently, the Croatian government passed a law to limit ONLY CZECH CITIZENS to enter with 1 kilo of food, thus forcing them to purchase local food. Czechs stopped going to Croatia and the government revoked the law and then now allows them to bring in 10kilos of food.
Many Argies do the same when they travel with a car to Uruguay.
Just some true facts to share.

Back