Found; Great Sushi Restaurant - and Cheap!

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Yes, I know. Sushi and "cheap" are hardly ever found together. And, when they are you probably want to avoid the sushi.

However, last night my wife and I ate at Teppan Cuisine on Sante Fe near Pueyrredon. First, don't get your hopes up - this isn't Morimoto in Philly, or Urusawa in LA. However, the sushi in Buenos Aires is very hit or miss, in my experience. This sushi I would definitely rate a hit.

The ambiance is a bit above Asian Diner, reminds me a of the Benihana to which my parents would drag me as kid with my blue blazer and wet-combed hair to watch the Japanese chefs cut, slice, dice, and then toss shrimp into the air and catch them in their shirt pockets. You can get a seat at the sushi bar, at the hot grill bar, or at a seperate table. It is nice enough to take a date, and casual enough to bring the kids.

Teppan Cuisine has a tenedor libre in the front which gave me pause at first, but after watching the sushi being prepared at the bar I decided to give it a go. Even with my good Spanish it took me 5 minutes of repeated questions to understand that yes, the price was $100ARS per person, no matter how much you ordered. It is a precio fijo menu with an unlimitted back-end, including sushi. You get two order sheets at the beginning. Just mark off which plates you want. The menu is in Spanglish and Japanese.

We started with Maki - Langostino Roll, Salmon Roll, Pes-Grilled Roll, and had the California Roll just to be touristy. Then we moved to the Sushi - Langostino, Kanikama, Tuna, Caviar, and then Salmon Sashimi. All of these were excellent.

To make sure we were stuffed by the end of the meal we added some Platos Grill - Calamares Frito, Pollo Grilled, and a Pollo Brochette, and a plate of Cerdo BBQ Japonese.

In hindsight, I would have skipped the Main Course Plates (entradas) except perhaps the Calamares Frito, and made another swing through the sushi menu. The plates are decent, much like you'd expect from a fast food Asian restaraunt like Pei Wei Asian Diner, but below a place like PF Chang's. The sushi is much better. Appetizers, hot soup and desert are included. Drinks are extra.

We'll be back! Domo Arigato!

Teppan Cuisine
Av. Santa Fe 2939, Cap Fed
4882-2950

Hey, thanks for this. Did you happen to see the how the prices were for maki and sushi ala carte on the regular menu or is it all tenedor libre only?

GS_Dirtboy said:
Yes, I know. Sushi and "cheap" are hardly ever found together. And, when they are you probably want to avoid the sushi.

However, last night my wife and I ate at Teppan Cuisine on Sante Fe near Pueyrredon....

We'll be back! Domo Arigato!

Teppan Cuisine
Av. Santa Fe 2939, Cap Fed
4882-2950

I must have missed where you described how much Philly cream cheese is in their sushi rolls.

Would you compare it to:

-a #2 pencil
-a Slim Jim
-an Oscar Meyer weiner

Thanks. I just want to know how much Lactaid to take before I go.

Shwidelson said:
Hey, thanks for this. Did you happen to see the how the prices were for maki and sushi ala carte on the regular menu or is it all tenedor libre only?

De nada. I didn't see any ala carte menu. I was so excited about the All You Can Eat part I didn't ask, but they never offered a seperate menu.

Napoleon said:
I must have missed where you described how much Philly cream cheese is in their sushi rolls.

I don't remember seeing any. :rolleyes:

Back