Free or Cheap Spanish Classes in BA

lucha54

Registered
hey all,
I lived here from August-November last year and took classes with a private tutor for 60 pesos/hour, once a week. I studied a lot online, including lots of slang and lunfardo :) and practiced as much as I could. Now I'm back, after 2 months away, and dating an Argy who speaks perfect English, and have not resumed classes, and I'm speaking English most of the time. Very lazy, I know.

I'm looking to get back in to Spanish classes for the cheapest way possible.
I know that UBA has classes for cheap (when you do the math it comes out to about 20 pesos/class). I want to take classes at their Centro Armenio location to save me the trip downtown, but for now, I only see bimestral (two month) classes for April/May. I'm going on holiday next week and would like to start with those classes if they have bimestral offerings for anytime in May/June/July. Does anyone know anything about this? Any first-hand experiences?

Then a friend mentioned today that her French boyfriend is doing FREE(!) classes at the local high school. Just like high schools in the states, there are high schools here (the one in question was in Recoleta) that offer 'adult education' -type courses. Cooking, dancing, whatever, AND language classes!! Including Spanish for foreigners. She told me to ask around to the high schools in my neighborhood, but I thought I'd start here.

I'm in Las Cañitas and could go for anything in this or the Belgrano or Alto Palermo/ Palermo Viejo neighborhoods. Any leads? I want group classes. No private Spanish schools (unless their prices can compete with UBA's). Sorry if I sound cheap but well, ya know...

Thanks for your help if you have any leads for me!!

~Lucha

Hi, I go to classes that are really cheap. Its a group class of about 3 people. There is a deal where you pay $400 ARS for 40 hours. If you are looking for free classes this is not the place but cheap, very good, professional and small group classes this is definitely great. I have been with the teacher a while now and he is a great teacher. PM me if you would like more details.
Sarah

hey! i would love more details??? where are the classes? is it at a school? or in his house? really need to improve my spanish!!!!!!!

There are free Spanish courses - organized by the city IIRC - but I'll be damned if I can remember any info. Two of my friends did it. You have to go and take a test and then you get placed in a class depending on your level.

Let me email them and ask what the program was called.

Citygirl- please let me know if /when you get more info. Thanks!

lucha54 said:
I know that UBA has classes for cheap (when you do the math it comes out to about 20 pesos/class). I want to take classes at their Centro Armenio location to save me the trip downtown, but for now, I only see bimestral (two month) classes for April/May. I'm going on holiday next week and would like to start with those classes if they have bimestral offerings for anytime in May/June/July. Does anyone know anything about this? Any first-hand experiences?

The next classes will be listed at the end of these. So in this case in May. You just have to keep an eye on their website.

I took classes there and I liked it a lot.

I took classes at Lenguas Vivas that were for 3 months, 3 hours a day, 4 days a week - AR$100 for the whole course - however it is downtown.

http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/content/español-para-extranjeros
This is the link to the UBA site. I have done 3 levels with them and enjoyed it. If you are looking to start in May you should start checking the website towards the end of April as registration is usually a week or 2 before.
To be honest though UBA really is not that cheap anymore. I did the intensive summer course with them in January and it cost me 2000 pesos for 60 hours which is about 35 pesos per hour.

lucha54 said:
hey all,
I lived here from August-November last year and took classes with a private tutor for 60 pesos/hour, once a week. I studied a lot online, including lots of slang and lunfardo :) and practiced as much as I could. Now I'm back, after 2 months away, and dating an Argy who speaks perfect English, and have not resumed classes, and I'm speaking English most of the time. Very lazy, I know.

Then a friend mentioned today that her French boyfriend is doing FREE(!) classes at the local high school. Just like high schools in the states, there are high schools here (the one in question was in Recoleta) that offer 'adult education' -type courses. Cooking, dancing, whatever, AND language classes!! Including Spanish for foreigners. She told me to ask around to the high schools in my neighborhood, but I thought I'd start here.

I'm in Las Cañitas and could go for anything in this or the Belgrano or Alto Palermo/ Palermo Viejo neighborhoods. Any leads? I want group classes. No private Spanish schools (unless their prices can compete with UBA's). Sorry if I sound cheap but well, ya know...

Thanks for your help if you have any leads for me!!

~Lucha

Your friend was right - you can enrol for 'spanish for foreigners' classes for free at a local school (take a photocopy of your passport along when you enrol). All students are asked to pay a voluntary contribution. At my local school the suggested amount was 10 pesos per month, but the foreigners who had more, generally donated more. I live in a different area, but I suggest you just go for a walk around your neighbourhood and look for a local school. Then ask about classes. If that school doesn't have them, they will be able to tell you the nearest school that does have them. The school I attended was a primary school that has an adult session at night, so don't restrict yourself to secondary schools.

Good luck.

Back