Fresh Berries - Where To Find Them - Now, Tomorrow, Usual

splaying

Registered
Antioxidants - healthy for my lifestyle. In the States no matter the season -- blueberries; strawberries; black berries; raspberries and the like are easily found each and every day. Costs vary and often times so does the quantity in the box too. I live a good portion of the year here in BA -- where can I seek these important berries?

Your assistance would be most appreciated

Walter

Blueberries and strawberries are in most fruit and veg places, raspberries and mulberries are sometimes found frozen and very occasionally in fruit and veg places.

Never seen a Blackberry here (apart from the phones they're everywhere due to tierra del fuego.).

As ejcot said, strawberries and blueberries shouldn't be hard to come by.

Blackberries, aka moras, are found here, in fact I've picked them off trees. I don't buy them often so not sure how complicated it'd be, but they do exist here.

Raspberries I've only ever bought here frozen. They're grown in the south and it seems to be too difficult to bring them up here(?!), or so my verdulero tells me. He says that in the summer months some verdulerías get a hold of some, but never managed to procure me any despite repeated requests. Hop over the border to Chile and you can buy as many as you like in any supermarket.

If you're interested in getting them frozen, PM me and I'll get you details.

I always thought mora's were mulberries which grow on trees and you can sometimes find here.
Blackberries aka brambles grow on bushes similar to raspberries.

I was mistaking blackberries for blackcurrants which i've never seen here.

Anyone tried growing their own raspberries? I planted some seeds a wee while ago but no luck so far.

edit: just googled it:

1. Mulberries belong to morus genus, moraceae family. Blackberries belong to rubus genus and rosaceae family.

2. Blackberry is a bush with thorns and mulberry is a tree without any thorns.

3. Mulberry is a deciduous tree, native to Asia, Europe and Africa. On the other hand, Blackberry is a perennial plant seen in South American and temperate Northern hemisphere.

4. Mulberrry fruits are larger than blackberries and have almost an oval shape. On the contrary, blackberries are almost round.

5. Blackberry fruits are very dark purple to black color. Whereas, a mulberry fruit is red to dark purple.

The discussion on blackberries brings to mind an issue I have had in other parts of the world. The dictionaries for english/xxx are often lacking or wrong about translations of food items, especially herbs and spices.
Where I live now has taken a lot of trial and error on herbs and spices.
Does anyone have a good resource for English/Spanish food/herb/spice translations?

The discussion on blackberries brings to mind an issue I have had in other parts of the world. The dictionaries for english/xxx are often lacking or wrong about translations of food items, especially herbs and spices.
Does anyone have a good resource for English/Spanish food/herb/spice translations?

Actually looking back the mora's i've bought before may have sometimes been blackberries and sometimes mulberries. :lol:
I distinctly remember buy a punnet of moras that were about the same size as raspberries rather than the longish mulberries.

Funny you mention it - we were just trying to figure out what scallions translates to in Spanish - puerro or cebolla de verdeo?

Funny you mention it - we were just trying to figure out what scallions translates to in Spanish - puerro or cebolla de verdeo?
Scallions are cebolla de verdeo - Leeks are puerro

Reactions: ben
You can find blueberry juice in the dieteticas. You can find frozen raspberries / strawberries / blueberries at Jumbo. You also may consider replacing these with more local alternatives -- ie I think it's about now when all the caqui (persimmons) start appearing at the verdulerias. You can make great smoothies with them. There are pomegranites around depending on the season, mangoes and papayas, kiwis, and of course palta and maracuya. There are plenty of other high antioxident fruits that actually are in season other than berries. The little oranges (not clementines but can't remember what they are called off hand) pack a punch. Getting raspberries/blackberries in the dead of winter are a huge guilty pleasure, but weigh more heavily on the guilty side of things -- the ridiculousness of the carbon footprint and the sheer notion of eating fresh summer fruits in the dead of winter is all a bit odd. Frozen is a different matter, they were picked at peak of season (in theory at least).

Other antioxidents easy to find are seeds, chia, sesame, lino etc, they are in every dietetica and supermarket

The best source I have for this is Dan Perlman's "Salt Shaker Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary," see his web page at http://www.saltshaker.net/. The link to purchase the book is not working, but he lives in Barrio Norte and certainly must have some copies, so try contacting him directly.

Back