From Boston to Argentina

David Poles

Registered
My name is David and I am a Bostonian with many years as a psychotherapist. I wish to move to Argentina with my wife within a year. I would like to be mental health and substance abuse resource for the Expat community. Any feedback is appreciated.

Good news and bad news.
The bad.... B.A. is the shrink capital of the world.
The good ... one has to be nuts to want to live here going forward.

i need your help david

and i love, love, love..the Bosten accent....ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOO ASK WHAT YOO CAN DOOO FOR YOUR COUNTRY

tell me how much i need to pay. I have serious problems.

David Poles said:
My name is David and I am a Bostonian with many years as a psychotherapist. I wish to move to Argentina with my wife within a year. I would like to be mental health and substance abuse resource for the Expat community. Any feedback is appreciated.

This country is addicted to psychotherapy. So that's a plus for you. However, the economy is crap and inflation kills you slowly, so if you're going to be earning only locally, I would expand your business to the locals too to stay afloat.

if you take it as an adventure do move here. if you are doing ok there, and money is important to you and you`d like to make the same or more money here don`t even bother. also consider that if everything goes to hell the expats will most likely be the first to abandon the boat what will you do then?.
also this is not germany or swiss things are done in a certain way that you`ll have to get use to, eg paying something in the bank can take all morning you`ll be miserable if you arrive expecting any different

Thanks for the feedback. I am still a year away from living there and offering online coaching/counseling services. Any thoughts on living in Quilmes? That's where my wife is from. Thanks.

Dave

Quilmes, hrmmm if your going to work in Capital, without a car you would have probably a 1.5 hr transit to and from Quilmes each day (3 hours in total). And if you have a car, well it would be better (more comfortable) but still a fair trek. Quilmes has some nice parts but also some (or should I say a lot) of dodgy parts. Your wife being from there would know I imagine.

Personally (and because I dont have a family) if I was working in Capital Federal, no way in hell I would live anywhere else but in Capital. If I had kids, I would perhaps look to live in the Provincia.

Quilmes have very nice areas, i have lot of friends there, but is true that have dodgy areas to, i personally like it but if your work is in capital then i will not live there (i like to live near my work). Is all depends if you have childrens or not. With a car is not so bad to come to capital in bus it take long.

My brother is going to a psychologist and one of my best friends is psychologist to, i pass you what i know about the profecion in here, the psychologist of my brother is fully scheduled almost all the time but he have a good client portfolio and long experience in the field, the hour rate for him is 300 pesos per hour that make 60 usd oficial rate (if you use family help to save the dollars back home limited to 1500 usd per person in your case 3000 between you and your wife per month at oficial rate "you need to have all legal to use this" i always use this way as it save me lot of money and allow me to save dollars outside) if you don't comply the requeriment for this one you can use the black market that will give you 43 usd per hour, or just stay with the pesos and spend them. In any case how much you get per hour depend a lot on you, your type of clients, and your hability to speak perfect spanish that make a big diference in your area if you are going to have local clients, so take that numbers as just a case there is a lot of diference i supose between psychologist and i have no idea in your case that you are attending only expats.

Back