From LaNacion: Macri lanza un plan para reforzar el control de los inmigrantes

Thanks! I think its too complicated for me now they have inserted it somewhere hard to find and read. I can see following unchanged in the law.

ARTICULO 3° — Son objetivos de la presente ley: .....
d) Garantizar el ejercicio del derecho a la reunificación familiar;

ARTICULO 10. — El Estado garantizará el derecho de reunificación familiar de los inmigrantes con sus padres, cónyuges, hijos solteros menores o hijos mayores con capacidades diferentes.

ARTICULO 22. — Se considerará "residente permanente" a todo extranjero que, con el propósito de establecerse definitivamente en el país, obtenga de la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones una admisión en tal carácter. Asimismo, se considerarán residentes permanentes los inmigrantes parientes de ciudadanos argentinos, nativos o por opción, entendiéndose como tales al cónyuge, hijos y padres. A los hijos de argentinos nativos o por opción que nacieren en el extranjero se les reconoce la condición de residentes permanentes. Las autoridades permitirán su libre ingreso y permanencia en el territorio.

They changed a lot in the ARTICULO 29. Do you mean they removed some exception for reunificación familiar for people that have any impediments enumerated in new ARTICULO 29 of the immigration law. Would a father of an argentinian native child with a CLEAN record under ART 29 be denied Permanent residency?

But it seems that its better to apply directly for citizenship in this case would need to wait for decision without exiting the country or its better to do a visa run to Uruguay.

Nik, to read the DNU ruins my day. All the precedents that declared its unconstitutionality talk about the constitutional protection of the familly.

There's lots of speculation on this thread about the political motives of the Macri administration. While some claims may be founded, I'm surprised there's so little talk about some of the other very poignant issues facing Argentina that the article brings to the fore - issues that are relevant not only in Argentina, but also in Latin America, the Global South, and developing countries in general - particularly those related to informality and integration.

As anyone who has driven on Autopista Ilia through Retiro should have noticed, it's nearly impossible to miss one of the city's most emblematic slums/informal settlements: Villa 31. The current population of Villa 31 is around 43k (it grew exponentially after the country's return to democracy in 1983 (and the subsequent reduction in violent expulsions by the State), and even more so during the Kirchner administrations, following the crisis of 2001. Around half of Villa 31's population is foreign-born. While conducting interviews for my thesis on the urbanization/social integration of Villa 31 last year, I found that many foreign-born residents shared a common trajectory: after arriving in Argentina in their search for social and economic opportunity, they heard about Villa 31. Villa 31 provided an opportunity to join other people in a collective fight for access to land by taking it over (or "squatting"). That is, due to a lack of affordable housing, economic opportunity in the region, the absence of the State, and a host of other structural factors that intervene to produce to informality - people - in their search for survival, continue to find themselves relegated to a life on the margins of society.

Villa 31 is just one case out of many informal settlements in Argentina, the region, and the developing world. Informality and its related challenges will only continue to put pressure on societies to respond to new demands as our world continues to face unprecedented urbanization.

Essential questions remain. How do we mitigate informality? How do we promote integration? How do we propel people who work on the black market to get jobs on the white market? On the other hand, of course, how do we increase the menu of options available to marginalized groups?

I'm not an expert on Argentine immigration policy, but I do know that there are friendly agreements among countries in South America, and even more so in the Southern Cone, with respect to the movement of people. While we should always question the negative consequences/motives to policies, those that propel migrants to formalize their residency and participate more directly in the State project may lead to institutional, social, and economic development.

Reading that document can ruin anybody's day! I'm happy there are lawyers like you in Argentina to help. If we decide on Argentina will be contacting you to get our case through child birth to citizenship.

There's lots of speculation on this thread about the political motives of the Macri administration. While some claims may be founded, I'm surprised there's so little talk about some of the other very poignant issues facing Argentina that the article brings to the fore - issues that are relevant not only in Argentina, but also in Latin America, the Global South, and developing countries in general - particularly those related to informality and integration.

As anyone who has driven on Autopista Ilia through Retiro should have noticed, it's nearly impossible to miss one of the city's most emblematic slums/informal settlements: Villa 31. The current population of Villa 31 is around 43k (it grew exponentially after the country's return to democracy in 1983 (and the subsequent reduction in violent expulsions by the State), and even more so during the Kirchner administrations, following the crisis of 2001. Around half of Villa 31's population is foreign-born. While conducting interviews for my thesis on the urbanization/social integration of Villa 31 last year, I found that many foreign-born residents shared a common trajectory: after arriving in Argentina in their search for social and economic opportunity, they heard about Villa 31. Villa 31 provided an opportunity to join other people in a collective fight for access to land by taking it over (or "squatting"). That is, due to a lack of affordable housing, economic opportunity in the region, the absence of the State, and a host of other structural factors that intervene to produce to informality - people - in their search for survival, continue to find themselves relegated to a life on the margins of society.

Villa 31 is just one case out of many informal settlements in Argentina, the region, and the developing world. Informality and its related challenges will only continue to put pressure on societies to respond to new demands as our world continues to face unprecedented urbanization.

Essential questions remain. How do we mitigate informality? How do we promote integration? How do we propel people who work on the black market to get jobs on the white market? On the other hand, of course, how do we increase the menu of options available to marginalized groups?

I'm not an expert on Argentine immigration policy, but I do know that there are friendly agreements among countries in South America, and even more so in the Southern Cone, with respect to the movement of people. While we should always question the negative consequences/motives to policies, those that propel migrants to formalize their residency and participate more directly in the State project may lead to institutional, social, and economic development.

There is not speculation. It is xenophobia.

Back