From today's NY Times

Well, if that article would have gone on a bit longer, the author would have gotten more into the ugly side of economic growth, right? The big I-word..

Pretty good article. The right wing haters on this forum should read it and they might learn something.

And it would be laughable to suggest that the United States follow its lead and default on its debt.

Quite the opposite. Better to default like Argentina than to default through hyper-inflation.

Not a very good article in my opinion, more or less ignores a lot of the bad stuff that's gone on in Argentina and doesn't really discuss the sustainability of the economic model. The best thing the world could gain from Argentina's experience is how not to run a country.

In the last couple of years 6 businesses within a block from me have closed and remain empty....hairdressers, kiosk, empanada place, taxi repairshop, telephone store and hardware store, I don't see the economic growth in my barrio....

Philsword said:
The best thing the world could gain from Argentina's experience is how not to run a country.

By that do you mean the neo-liberal policies that created the crisis or the Kirchner's attempt to clean up the mess? Because they are two completely different economic models.

CarverFan said:
I don't see the economic growth in my barrio....

But you see economic growth everywhere else.

xibeca said:
By that do you mean the neo-liberal policies that created the crisis or the Kirchner's attempt to clean up the mess? Because they are two completely different economic models.

None of the above, but I don't see how people can claim this government is a brilliant success when mainly all they have done is jacked up government spending to a very high and unsustainable levels, the government benefiting from high taxes on record commodity prices. Has anything really been accomplished during this spending spree that will survive the boom, or has this windfall been simply squandered maintaining the popularity government and insuring its grip on power?

Yeah, right.

Who has forgotten the cries about "The Brazilian Miracle" - followed by more than 100 percent inflation four years later?

Different optimists look around, find a country where things may look good this week and call them miracles, tigers, etc. - only to forget all about their own rubbish when the roof caves in.

Back