Gaining weight in Buenos Aires

IntlMama

Registered
Had any one else had weight issues since moving here? I find it is hard to not consume large amounts of red meat and bread. Also, the sweets here! I see people eat cookies for breakfast or of course, medialunas - but the locals all stay skinny!

Do you think it just has to do with the food you grew up on?

It's actually the opposite for me. When I'm here, I find it very easy to avoid snacking and processed food.

For me it's been the opposite, back home I love greasy cheesy snacks but here there just isn't anything I love. And what I do love, is generally too expensive to justify. I eat a ton of fruit every day and a lot of salads with vinegar to quench my salt cravings. I also never drink liquor, just wine, since it's so much cheaper here. I've stayed very slim here, whether I planned it or not.

Best way to lose weight/stay slim is to cut out processed "white" products (e.g. white flour, white sugar etc.) and avoiding things with fructose etc. I don't eat any of the argentine pastries aside from a teeny bite here and there as I don't think that they are that incredible/not worth the weight (if we were in paris uh-oh :eek:).

As far the meat goes, try to have lean cuts such as lomo or order pollo instead and limit it to once a week or twice if you must (with good portion control) :)

My husband and I eat out a lot and I always have to say "sin crema, sin manteca"-- so funny. As long as you order items that are prepared with olive oil instead of butter, and lower in carbs you should see the weight come right off :) Also, having steamed veggies in the house is great when you are just craving a mindless snack or carrots and hummus etc.

It's so funny to me because everyone always thinks Americans are so fat (which I generally agree with) however, being that I live in NYC and SF it's hard for me to see the "real" US. Most people I know where a size 4 or under. I have seen more "chubby" argentines than I would have expected. Must be all the pastries and sugar!

Try walking everywhere you can. You'll lose weight. Guaranteed.

they drink mate which is antioxident and colon cleansing. Lose the wheat products and soft drinks keep the meat and you´ll lose the weight

I eat a lot more here than I did back home, but I think that has more to do with my fiance's family eating habits here compared to what I was used to. We have a hired cook that doesn't make the most healthy meals - too much fried and breaded stuff. Usually when I go back to the States I lose at least part of what I've gained.

French bread is a problem as well, but lately I've been cutting back a lot and not eating at every meal. Now that I'm getting older, an exercise plan might be in order as well - I've come to the conclusion that I can't have the body I had at 20 into my 30s without some effort. :rolleyes: LeSigh.

I know when I need to start exercising/watching what I eat when my clothes start to get a little tight. I refuse to buy bigger pants!! :eek:

I was underweight before I came here 2 years ago. Every summer i tend to lose 5 to 10 pounds and its very very hard for me to gain it back. I eat lots of meat, chicken, some salads, bread, pasta and so on, but I have a very very hard time gaining weight here.

Personally, I think it will be much much easier to gain weight in the states.

Back