Gene Testing

Girino

Registered
I have been always curious towards gene testing, both for anthropological reason (to trace one own's ancestry) and for health reason. Is there such service in Buenos Aires, and if so, which?

The issue is getting stuff by mail in or out of Argentina, as usual.

And what about gene testing for fertility or to know what will you die of?

try this???

http://analisisadn.progenitest.com.ar/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAno60BRDt89rAh7qt-4wBEiQASes2tV3YLqndwLNoxwtuieeeyLu5VpSSQZV2iDVOVbraCl4aAiyc8P8HAQ

kit10.gif

The issue is getting stuff by mail in or out of Argentina, as usual.

And what about gene testing for fertility or to know what will you die of?

Testing for fertility for women isn't an easy at home procedure. If you mean just testing for your ovulation cycle you can buy an ovulation kit that here costs about 400 pesos for 5 days of tests which are urine tests that check for an increase in your FSH level. If you want to know beyond that that you are indeed ovulating every cycle or how many eggs approximately you have left, it involves ultrasounds, blood tests, dye injections to make sure that your fallopian tubes are clear and hysterocopies to make sure there aren't any other obstructions. This is why people don't actually undergo fertility testing until they've already been trying actively for 6mos-1yr with no result. It's invasive and horrible. Fertility testing for women isn't a matter of sending off for a kit and ta-dah. For men with their much more accessible sex organs, it's much easier.

So, do you mean fertility or do you maybe mean to testing to see if you have any genetic factors that could present risks for a child?

And genetic testing for "what you could die of" well we aren't that far along with things yet. You can get tested to see if you present for certain breast or ovarian cancers. You can find out if you have certain genes for certain diseases. But it's not a "send this test off and see if you are going to die of X disease". Many diseases involve such a long portion of one's life that it may not be the disease that gets you in the end, ie you might suffer from MS or Parkinson's for 25 years and in the end drop dead of a massive heart attack one day.

Thanks for the lesson in fertility issues, syngirl. I hope you understand that some times people post unspecific questions because they don't want to walk into an expat meeting being labeled as "the one with haemorroids" or "the one who got crabs after a one-night stand".

Anyway, I find the topic interesting for various reasons, and I'd consider a gene test on the same line as an allergy test. Since healthcare in Argentina is known to be cheaper than in Europe / the US, I figured out there would be something more worthy to consider than cosmetic surgery while I am here.

Specifically, I have alway been curious to try one of those tracing your ancestry, though I have no idea how accurate are they. Also the gene testing to asses risk factors in you or your children is very interesting, though I understand the underlying ethical and moral issues.

Personally, I have been negatively impressed by people who decided to conceive multiple times despite their potential offspring carrying a high chance of genetic issues, which eventually occurred. I have no idea if it is popular to test partners before conceiving, in Italy it is definitely not but maybe in the more modern US of A it is.

I remeber I watched a documentary of national geographic a decade ago about "a group whose name I dont remember". They searched for samples from all around the world, sending the kit with the "hyssop" indicating how to take the sample and send it back to their lab.

After a significative number and variety of samples, they draw a map with arrows showing the movements of people through centuries and mileniums. Very interesting.

At the same time this was published also Nat Geo´s magazine and /or website, and they charged $100 (one hundred dollars) if you wanted to do the test and get the responses. They suggested that it was better if you also sent a sample of a close relative of you of the opposite sex to get more accuracy.

Here, in Argentina, a biochemist, Dr. Penchaszadeh, worked with Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo and developed a technique to help the Abuelas in their search through genetics. Because of the nature and results of this work, both are being proposed to Nobel Peace Prize. Universidad de Buenos Aires, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica offers genetic tests for several purposes, medical and legal ones.

Back