Getting a Bank Accont

Rick Evans

Registered
Hi Group,

I'm transitioning to BA (not yet living there but on my way ... been there 1-2 a year for the last 5-6 years. Just got back from my last trip. Coming for 3 months. How does one set up a bank account in AR before getting a permanent visa. I don't want tons of cash sitting around my rental unit.
Thanks!

Hi Rick,

You can't with a tourist visa. Your best bet would be to get some sort of international banking in another country such as HSBC premier or Citi gold - also I have heard that Charles Schwab refunds ATM fees.

Once you are in Buenos Aires, you will get to know more about the banking system, for instance, there are daily limits to withdraw money. I suggest you to get accounts from more than one bank. You will learn that going to the same branch would be useful because they can give you a bigger amount of money. But you have time for it!!!

There are not limits on the HSBC account I just mentioned - the catch is if you don't have a pretty high minimum balance with their bank, you get charged a lot of monthly fees.

I know a lot of people who use the Charles Schwab thing, you should look that up.

Also, the British Airways visa signature credit card does not charge foreign transaction fees, and is a good card for getting miles if you fly on BA.

The Barclays bank visa does not charge transaction fees, eather!

Julia2 said:
The Barclays bank visa does not charge transaction fees, eather!

But do they refund the local fees as well?

Schwab does, but you need a US address to open accounts with them.

http://www.clientebancario.bcra.gov.ar/
click on "Cuenta bancaria universal"

Aquellos extranjeros que acrediten al menos un año de residencia en el país y no tengan DNI pueden acceder a esta Cuenta presentando el documento del país de origen y la constancia del DNI en trámite.

Damiancho said:
http://www.clientebancario.bcra.gov.ar/
click on "Cuenta bancaria universal"

Aquellos extranjeros que acrediten al menos un año de residencia en el país y no tengan DNI pueden acceder a esta Cuenta presentando el documento del país de origen y la constancia del DNI en trámite.

This account requires at least one year of temporary residency and proof of application for the DNI, so it is no help to those here on a tourist visa or even new arrivals with temporary residency granted by an Argentine consulate in another country.

Here is my translation:

"Those foreigners that accredit at least a year of residence in the country and do not have the DNI can obtain this Account by presenting the document of the country of origin (passport) and the proof of the DNI application."

Once a foreigner is granted residency (some enter the country with it) they can get a DNI in about a month, so it is possible for them to open an account in less than a year. Banks also require additional "proof" of Argentine address that matches the DNI, but I don't know any that accept a police issued certificado de domocilio. Most require utility bills, but other accept insurance policies and cellphone invoices.

Back