Getting A Dog

beepokerking

Registered
Hi Ive decided I want to live like a local and get a puppy / small dog! Anybody know the best places to get them from?

If you really want to live like a local make sure you train your puppy to pee and crap on the sidewalk, never on the grass! If you pick up the dog crap people will obviously know you aren't from here.

There are animal rescue groups here in BA. As a life-long dog owner I recommend rescued dogs over pet shop (puppy mill) dogs. But all dogs deserve a good home. There is often a rescue group at Parque Palermo (Rosedal) on Saturday mornings. As well, there is a group of working dogs using the obstacle course. These owners might have leads on dogs for rescue.

Do your dog a HUGE favor and take a behavior class so you understand how your dog thinks and therefore can train it properly. It's more for you than for your dog. I can tell in 5 seconds if a dog owner has been professionally trained or is "self-trained."

Good look!

GS

You can get a puppy in almost every feria. Go some sunday and buy one, they are relatively cheap.

I rescue dogs (+ have my owns... 6 in total right now) and I have one for adoption, about 2/3 years old (better than a puppy since he won't eat all the furniture like puppies do). Excellent guardian (about 110 lbs.) but acts like a poodle when looking for hugs, very responsive to humans, male (not neutered : can't be mixed with other males), does not escape, clean (does not pee or poo inside), ok with kids (plays with them). He's also beautiful (mix labrador/filha brasileiro).

Unfortunately he's not "small", like what you search. I'll post pics or videos if needed

We've looked after several rescue pups and now have two of our own.
From our experience Facebook is the best place to find puppies in adoption, eg:
Nos Adoptan
Refugio Zoobrivientes
Before taking the leap, make sure you have no item in your house that you hold any sincere value to, that your Landlordy is cool with it, that you are cool with cleaning up pee from your floors for 6-9 months and poop for the first 3, that you have the time to take them out in the morning when you wake up and in the evening before you go to bed and at least 40 mins in a park in between everyday (or employ a paseador once they have their vacunas).
Make sure you understand that you wont be able to travel or stay the night anywhere else without first making prior arrangements for your pet, that public transport will be unavailable to you both. Prepare yourself for vets fees.
If, having read all that, you are still eager then god speed. It is quite a journey.

Rescueing older dogs is an incredible & rewarding experience as well.

Here's an old lady I rescued about 6 years ago, was dying in Recoleta, people passing by.
She lived happily with me for 3 more years (and got quite fat). She would walk with me in the city with no leash, etc.

When I found her
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:353]

Once cared for
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:354]

Great posts here for a worthy cause. I have been "adopting" (rescuing) dogs and cats for over a decade in the US and brought my adopted dog and cat with me when I moved here 6 years ago. i strongly agree about the importance of puppy kindergarten classes also. I also had adopted an elderly chihuahua (9 years old when I got her) and she went on to be a great companion fr 5 more years!
One thing not addressed here is beepokerking's concern about potential size..for me its always been an issue since I travel and want to be able to take my dog with me UNDER THE SEAT of the plane. And the height current requirements are very limited--8 inches height more or less at the shoulder. For this reason I have stuck with purebred toy or terrier breeds--and at least in the US, there are breed specific rescue groups. (They specialized in rescuing, fostering ad adopting their breed from the recently deceased or no longer able to care for their pets.) Beepokerking, perhaps ask a vet here about that..Obviously to adopt a full grown dog within your size limitations would be ideal. But puppies are adorable and sometimes better integrated into an existing family. You can pretty realistically predict adult size of a mixed breed puppy by knowing the size or breed mix of the parents, looking at the puppy paw size, or if you're really knowledgable about breeds, diagnosing the breed mix yourself. I'd be willing to help you with that and "puppy character test",if you don't currently have knowledgeable friends to help you, for free of course! Wish I could add another one myself but the airlines only allow me one! Best of luck and keep us posted if you adopt...And Frenche," te felicito" on your extended family!

Very good thread with very good advice.

I have 4 dogs, 3 rescued from the park (one already grown up and two as puppies) and I have also rescued a few more that I have given away (to responsible owners).

Finding a good vet is crucial, make sure you get all the correct vaccines and do the regular check-ups etc (this also makes it easier if you want to take the dog out of the country and any point)

Neuter the dog - there are enough dogs on the street and unless there's an extremely good reason not to please do.

A dog lives for a long time and if you are here temporarily make sure you understand the costs and paperwork needed when you leave as you will have to bring him with you.

Here are mine in the middle of a training session, focused on the prize in my hand ;)

577602_10151876400819688_1953928544_n.jpg

My four "regular" ones.

The short/red hair one is the son of the big hairy one & the small white lady (was an accident... was playing online poker & got distracted for 10 mins...).

So I have the father, the mother and the son (other sons got adopted).

I could never have so many dogs in France, good point for Argentina!

My next step is to have a few horses, once I'll live in Patagonia

Back