Getting back into Argentina if I leave for short time

John.St said:
IMO we shall be very careful about giving this sort of advice or hinting at such behavior.

Even with the higher fine (AR$ 300) we are talking of breaking the law to save 82 centavos a day + 4 BuqueBus tickets a year, or - as in my case - the bus ride or airplane Chile ida y vuelta.

The enforcement of the 180 days rule is very slack today - to say the least.
If I should venture a guess, this has to do with the foreign currency expats are bringing into a very strained economy.

There is a risk, however, that one cloudy day an election seats a Chavez-type president and then it may not be the best of policies when you re-enter for the umpteenth time, to have broken one or more laws time and again by overstaying.

I very strongly advice to not save a 1 or 2 pesos a day while taking the risk of being denied re-entry if things change and never break the laws of your adopted Vaterland.

Analyze what it will cost you, if one day you are refused re-entry either for good or for e.g. three years .

I would think it can also be used against you if you ever want to apply for a residence in Argentina. If you overstay your visa it will be marked down in your pasport, they might have an record somewhere else but atleast they can check it as long that you have your pasport

Personally I don't know what the problem is with leaving the country a couple of times a year. Colonia is nice to visit, Montevideo is nice for a (long) weekend and if you are not an American citizen you can also visit Igazu and hop over the border. A trip to Entre Rios is also nice

But you need money for that offcourse, which most foreigners who live in Argentina don't seem to have

But who says you have a 180 day limit anyway? Is that a law?

My girlfriend's boss did the uruguay renewal trick a LOT of times so her passport was filled with these one day stamps and the last time she came (about a week ago) they were like 'you can't do this, you got too many stamps on your passport, you renewed your stay too many times'
so she asked him what's the limit and they didn't know what to say and just kept saying there were too many and she just stood up there asking them to show her a law that says X times is the limit and they just didn't know what to do and they let her in 'with a warning', it's all BS anyway, you just have to be tough enough cause this same thing happened to another friend and she just 'believed' them

BlahBlah said:
I... but atleast they can check it as long that you have your pasport
As long as you have the same name, social security number and what else is in the machine readable part of your passport, all of which is registered in a central database.

Getting a new passport won't help.

John.St said:
As long as you have the same name, social security number and what else is in the machine readable part of your passport, all of which is registered in a central database.

Getting a new passport won't help.

You have a social security number? Where do you get that? I don't think your social security number is on your passport. But I could be wrong.

mini said:
You have a social security number? Where do you get that? I don't think your social security number is on your passport. But I could be wrong.
The equivalent, got it at home in Danmark 40 years ago. It may be different from the US version, but it constitutes a world wide unique ID: DK-ddmmYYYY-serial#

If you passport only has a bar code, I think the machine readers only get your name, birthday, and the passport number. If they have an RFID chip, much more data might be available...but to whom...and for what purpose?

This link might provide useful information:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/04/rfid_passport_s.html

I think some kind of chip (though the Dept of Homeland Security apparently doesn't want to call it an RFID chip) is used in the new "smart cards" that can be used by driver crossing the US borders.

http://www.mindfully.org/Technology/2005/US-Passports-RFID29mar05.htm

steveinbsas said:
If you passport only has a bar code, I think the machine readers only get your name, birthday, and the passport number. If they ever implement the use of the RFID chip, much more data might be available...but to whom...and for what purpose?
Big Mother is watching you!

steveinbsas said:
Age old stuff - 2005.

Today the US demands a lot more, including a unique identifier - at least from non-US residents - on entrance.

My US passport has a chip in it. All US passports issued since '07 contain them.

John.St said:
The equivalent, got it at home in Danmark 40 years ago. It may be different from the US version, but it constitutes a world wide unique ID: DK-ddmmYYYY-serial#

Is that number on your passport as well as all your other documents?

mini said:
Is that number on your passport as well as all your other documents?
Birth certificate
Passport
National health insurance (free coverage in entire European Union)
Identitag (a MIL thing) w/ bloodtype - wear it 7x24, will survive a burnt out car, train, house, etc.

Quote:
Any person registered as of April 2, 1968 or later in a Danish civil register, receives a personal identification number. Any person who is a member of ATP or is required to pay tax in Denmark according to the Tax-control Law of Denmark, but is not registered in a civil register, also receives a personal identification number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_identification_number_(Denmark)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identification_number - other countries

Back