Getting British Sim Free Phones To Work Over Here

Churchill

Registered
Just before I came back to Argentina 18 months ago, I bought a nexus 4 sim-free/unlocked phone from carphone warehouse. When I arrived back in Bs As and before I smashed the nexus' screen to smithereens I was unable to get any sort of 3g internet coverage when i added my movistar chip. Movistar scratched their heads in their normal fashion before giving me a new chip which produced equally poor results. After the smashing of the screen, I purchased a phone from Garbarino (again sim free) and put in my movistar chip and 'de repente' the internet coverage started to work. So......was i just unlucky with my nexus or will all phones brought in from the uk have the same issue. I ask as Im about to go off to visit my mum and i rather fancy another splurge at carphone warehouse.

Just before I came back to Argentina 18 months ago, I bought a nexus 4 sim-free/unlocked phone from carphone warehouse. When I arrived back in Bs As and before I smashed the nexus' screen to smithereens I was unable to get any sort of 3g internet coverage when i added my movistar chip. Movistar scratched their heads in their normal fashion before giving me a new chip which produced equally poor results. After the smashing of the screen, I purchased a phone from Garbarino (again sim free) and put in my movistar chip and 'de repente' the internet coverage started to work. So......was i just unlucky with my nexus or will all phones brought in from the uk have the same issue. I ask as Im about to go off to visit my mum and i rather fancy another splurge at carphone warehouse.

Try an iPhone.

Hmm, I was wondering why I didn't see any nexus phones here yet. When I first arrived here almost 4 years ago everyone still had blackberries (blackberries!). My advice is try again in a few years. Also, welcome to 2011.

Take ur Movistar sim to UK and insert it on the nexus cell there select roaming,,,,,????? and wait. B)

I`ve bought over a Nexus 4 I purchased in the UK region free and my wifes Blackberry Q10 and both work with Personal 3G here,.

Argentina uses different data frequencies to the uk.

http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=ARGENTINA

2G capabilities

GSM 850, GSM 1800, GSM 1900

3G capabilities

UMTS 850, UMTS 1900

4G capabilities

LTE 1700, LTE 2100

http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=UNITED+KINGDOM

UNITED KINGDOM

2G capabilities

GSM 900, GSM 1800

3G capabilities

UMTS 900, UMTS 2100

4G capabilities

LTE 800, LTE 1800, LTE 2600

looking at the nexus 4
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_4_e960-5048.php Technology GSM / HSPA 2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
HSDPA 900 / 2100

there are 2 models, you probably have the 2nd one that doesn't do the 3g bands here.

Had the same issue with a European phone: calls worked, mobile internet did not. After spending quite a few hours lost on changing the configuration (APNs and stuff), I inserted the SIM card of my girlfriend and tried if its a phone issue and it worked. When I changed back to my SIM, the mobile internet was working there too. No idea what exactly was the issue but I imagine that some configuration was performed when using my girlfriend's SIM, but not when using mine.

Back