Getting Dollars For Rent - Xoom or WesternU?

domthegreat

Registered
We need to get dollars tomorrow for our rent. Whats the best way to get dollars down here? I have heard about a bunch of people using Xoom! How exactly do we use Xoom to send money to ourselves here? I hear you can just send it to an exchange here in your name and then go pick it up locally...is that true?

The only alternative I heard about was Western Union, but I think they shut down operations in Argentina recently...

Take a look around the forum - pay in pesos. Rental agents know PERFECTLY well that it is essentially impossible to get dollars in Argentina. (99% of them probably don't know about Xoom) Play dumb and say the bank machine gives you a dollars option but you've since learned that only works if you have a USD account with an Argentine bank (true).

They know that dollars are complicated/costly to obtain which is why they want them. Undeclared/stable currency income + possibility of selling them on the black market at a significant premium.

Doesn't Xoom pay out only pesos? I agree with zissou, it's illegal now to demand dollars, and you probably cant get them unless you have a great contact and are transferring a lot. Tell them you'll turn them into AFIP unless they accept pesos at the formal rate.

domthegreat said:
We need to get dollars tomorrow for our rent.

No, you don't, and there is nothing anyone can do to force you to get dollars, especially when it is virtually impossible.

jb5 said:
Doesn't Zoom pay out only pesos? I agree with zissou, it's illegal now to demand dollars, and you probably cant get them unless you have a great contact and are transferring a lot. Tell them you'll turn them into AFIP unless they accept pesos at the formal rate.

Yes, Xoom only pays out in pesos and I believe Western Union does too.

If you're bank account is in the U.S., then you can use Xoom. Tell your landlord that you can't get dollars, but that you'd be willing to work out a better exchange rate in pesos. Currently the exchange rate with Xoom works out to be ~4.80, so offer something like 4.70 per USD.

Even though some may say that USD contracts are illegal, you did sign the contract saying you'd pay in USD. In my opinion, it makes little sense to get on the bad side of your landlord/lady. After all, he/she does have your deposit. Negotiation is good. Ultimatums are not.

bradlyhale said:
Even though some may say that USD contracts are illegal, you did sign the contract saying you'd pay in USD. In my opinion, it makes little sense to get on the bad side of your landlord/lady. After all, he/she does have your deposit. Negotiation is good. Ultimatums are not.

He clearly did not know how difficult/ impossible it is to obtain USD, and the landlord clearly does. It is a clear sign of bad faith if the owner thereafter tries to get him to pay a premium rate on the exchange accordingly. I agree there's no need to be nasty or threatening, but he also shouldn't feel as though he isn't upholding the contract either and be penalized for it.

And all of us should be good and fed up with the crazy demands by landlords. The sooner people start understanding their rights and saying no, the more sane the rental market will become.

We had a conversation with a realtor demanding dollars recently. We just said no, we would be paying, as per law the XE rate in dollars. Our realtor backed us up. I'm so glad this has changed. Carrying large amounts of dollars to pay landlords in crazy. We're paying high prices and helping them evade taxes.

THe thing is that we know it illegal to make us pay in dollars...but the fact is that we want our apartment, and if we dont do as they want, then they will get someone else who will pay in dollars/the "blue rate" (I think thats what its called).

We are gonna use Xoom after all...does anyone know if you use a credit card to fund the transaction will it show up as a cash advance on a Chase credit card or just as a normal credit purchase?

Back