Getting from Buenos Aires to Bariloche

hutch85

Registered
Hello all,

My name is Patrick Hutchison. I am a writer currently living in Seattle, Washington with plans to move to Bariloche at the beginning of February. I will be flying into Buenos Aires on the morning of January 6th and was hoping someone could help me out with some information on getting to Bariloche. Originally, I anticipated flying but soon found out how expensive it would be, opting to take a bus instead. However, from this forum I have heard great results of booking and checking in for your flight online to get a discounted residency rate. In light of this I have a few questions about getting from Buenos Aires to Bariloche.

1. Should I expect a price difference between buying a bus ticket online and buying it in person at the station?
  2. How quickly do buses fill up? i.e. If I arrive at the bus station three hours before my desired departure time, can I expect to find availability?
  3. How much time would I need to get from Newbery airport to the bus station and purchase a ticket?
  4. Given a small price difference, would you recommend the plane or the bus? I realize how much quicker the plane is, but I have heard incredible stories of the bus journey.
Thank you for any information you can provide.

Hi Patrick,

1: same price
2: In January they probably fill up a few days in advance maybe 3 or 4 days. If you want the choice of company and seat then book in advance. The buses 'cama', 'semi cama' are 3 seats across, so 2 together and a single, I always try and get the singles.
3: A couple of days! see number '2'. The taxi ride between the two is about 20 mins, allow at least and hour for delays and finding the right ticket booth.
4: This only applies if you check-in online and don't have any hold baggage, the moment you check your luggage in your will be caught out, so just take hand luggage and ship the rest:

Sending your bag isn't that expensive, depending how much you want to insure it for.
With ViaCargo.com.ar: Buenos Aires - Bariloche 15kg package:
AR$85 with A$200 of insurance
AR$150 with AR$3000 insurance

When bussing to Bariloche I always take www.viabariloche.com.ar.

The plane is 2hours 10 mins and the bus is 19 hours. I have done the bus many times, but as a resident the difference is minimal so now always fly when I can. If flying sit on the right (BA - Bariloche) for the best views.

The price break for flying is only for Argentines, not foreigners, to the best of my knowledge. I just came back from Bariloche two weeks ago. The one way air ticket was $430us and the bus around 563 pesos for super deluxe. I think that's around $150 us. It was a great trip.

Why will you be using the (inside city) Jorge Newbery airport?
Usually all international flights come to the Ezeiza Internacional Airport (at Ezeiza, of course).
From ther you can catch a bus with the company Manuel Tienda Leon that will take you to downtown, where the bus terminal is located at or near the great Retiro train station.
It will be advisable to make a reservation with the bus company, January is summer here and high season for travelers!!!A good route with the bus could be via San Martin de los Andes, the view from there to the city of Bariloche is breathtaking. Good luck

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am flying into Newbery because of a connecting flight in Santiago. I assume that because of their 'relative' proximity I will be flying into the traditionally domestic airport. It sounds as if an advanced ticket for the bus is my best bet for getting to Bariloche. My only worry is booking a bus ticket to leave on the day of my arrival. I am scheduled to arrive in BA at 9am and the bus leaves at 3pm. I am worried that due to flight delays, I might not make it. If I was delayed, would the bus company allow me to switch departure times?

hutch85 said:
If I was delayed, would the bus company allow me to switch departure times?

No just refund the ticket and buy another.. It's on a sliding scale.. Andesmar for example:

Cancel ticket within 24 hours of departure they return 70%,
Cancel ticket within 36 hours of departure they return 80%,
Cancel ticket with at least 48 hours prior to departure they return 90%,

NOTE they refund by the same means you buy the ticket, ie. if you pay online with a credit card they will only refund to the same credit card, not cash and they wont credit it to another ticket. this is from andesmar website:

RETENCIONES: En ambos casos se retendrá: dentro de las 24 horas antes de la salida 30%, dentro de las 36 horas antes de la salida 20%, más de 48 horas antes de la salida 10%. Los % de retención se aplicarán sobre el importe total pagado por el boleto menos el costo del servicio.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind responses and great information. I will purchase a ticket online with Via Bariloche. I have heard great things about them and feel comfortable their service. As for my writing; I am a freelance writer that works with several different companies, creating mainly travel and destination based articles. So, if anyone has any need for travel articles or any leads in Argentina, let me know. I will be keeping a blog of my time in Bariloche and subsequent travels. I will post the link here when I start the blog. Thanks again.

Back