Getting International Driver's Permit In Ba

domthegreat

Registered
Greetings all!

I wanted to see if anyone had experience getting an international driver's permit here locally in BA. We are going on a trip to Europe in September and I just noticed that I will need a IDP for driving in Italy and Spain. I see you can order them from AAA and Motorclub in the US and then have them shipped here, but it seems like quite the hassle.

Does anyone know if you can go to ACA and have them issue you one?

We do have a stopover in NYC for a weekend before going to Europe, so alternative would be to go in person there to get it.

Any experience or thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

The ACA issues the International Drivers License, requirements are Argentine DNI and Drivers License!

http://www.aca.org.ar/servicios/documentacion/frame.htm

The ACA issues the International Drivers License, requirements are Argentine DNI and Drivers License!

http://www.aca.org.a...acion/frame.htm
hhhmmm....Dont have DNI yet, still got a month left to go on that.

I saw on AAA.com that ACA is an associate member, and that they offer some help with IDPs...but it wasn't really clear.

I guess I should call them and find out if they would do it for an American here.

Either way, thanks for looking up the link for me. I appreciate it.

I spoke with ACA, without valid Argentine Documents nothing can be done

I went to the AAA office in Texas before I arrived here.. took all of about 15 minutes.. :) maybe you can schedule an appt to do that in NYC when you are there.. it was really easy.. passport and valid DL needed.. and about $30 US dollars

In reality, the IDL is one of the most worthless documents ever. It's been at least ten years since I even bothered with one in Argentina, Chile or Uruguay - my California license is fine (Argentine police haven't even bothered to try to coimearme). A couple months ago, when I rented a car in Norway and Sweden, the rental website said the IDL was obligatory but, when I phoned them, they said it was not. No problem whatsoever; I'm guessing that the same is true in Italy and Spain.

In reality, the IDL is one of the most worthless documents ever. It's been at least ten years since I even bothered with one in Argentina, Chile or Uruguay - my California license is fine (Argentine police haven't even bothered to try to coimearme). A couple months ago, when I rented a car in Norway and Sweden, the rental website said the IDL was obligatory but, when I phoned them, they said it was not. No problem whatsoever; I'm guessing that the same is true in Italy and Spain.

Foreign DL is Ok until you get involved in an traffic incident. Then the gendarmes will tell you show me your IDL not your freaking American DL..

Foreign DL is Ok until you get involved in an traffic incident. Then the gendarmes will tell you show me your IDL not your freaking American DL..

I've had accidents in Chile (responsabilidad compartida) and Argentina (the other driver's fault). Never a problem.

I'm not sure what your plans are in Italy and Spain, but public transport is soooo much better in Europe that you might not even need a car... better than Argentina's and way better than the US. I think it may be one of those things where technically you might need an international license, but realistically an American or Argentine license might be okay. Just obey traffic laws and don't get into any accidents. :p

And as mentioned, if you're going to rent a car, talk to the agency you plan to rent from beforehand.

I've had accidents in Chile (responsabilidad compartida) and Argentina (the other driver's fault). Never a problem.

The OP is having the IDL in use in a much "civilised countries" where the law is followed in a civilised international ways. One time a long time ago, driving in one of England's motorways, being pulled over and showed my US driver's license but the gendarmes asked if I had an IDL which I had with me but in the memoent of heat, pulled the wrong DL first. He took a lenghty doctrining session with me..First time listened to endure the King's English music in my ears, it was an eternity...Thought he never was going to finish! So carry your IDL whilst driving in " civilised countries" !

Back