Getting Married In Argentina, Translator Requirement?

cassidycolgan

Registered
Hi! So my bf and I are getting married as soon as we can. We are having trouble setting up the date to go, since it requires me to put in information about a translator. I've looked, but I can`t seem to understand the necessity to have a translator at the actual event. Or is this for the translation of paperwork afterwards. Does anyone have more information, experienced getting married or know about it? And would you have time to chat? This is more annoying than we thought. Let me know!
Best

Hi! So my bf and I are getting married as soon as we can. We are having trouble setting up the date to go, since it requires me to put in information about a translator. I've looked, but I can`t seem to understand the necessity to have a translator at the actual event. Or is this for the translation of paperwork afterwards. Does anyone have more information, experienced getting married or know about it? And would you have time to chat? This is more annoying than we thought. Let me know!
Best

I got married in Olavarría (Buenos Aires province) 30 years ago, and the people at the Registro Civil there seemed to be concerned whether or not I understood what was going on (I did, though my Spanish is much more fluent now). Nobody ever mentioned a translator, though your mileage may vary.

Best

An interpreter, not a translator is required by law. I was married here 13 years ago and even though I could understand the judge I was told I would have to hire an interpreter. If you have any doubts I would ask the registro civil where you're going to have the service.

I got married in the Tribunales office in November of last year. When we went to for the tramite a few days before I told them I understood Spanish fine and they sent me upstairs to speak to the judge. After a brief, jovial chat the judge was happy with my comprehension and signed the paper saying that an interpreter was not necessary.

If you would like to chat about it, send me a PM.

I got married in the Tribunales office in November of last year. When we went to for the tramite a few days before I told them I understood Spanish fine and they sent me upstairs to speak to the judge. After a brief, jovial chat the judge was happy with my comprehension and signed the paper saying that an interpreter was not necessary.

If you would like to chat about it, send me a PM.

You were lucky. Mostly likely it depends on the judge's mood.

It is not necessary to have an interpreter if your Spanish is good. They will "test" your Spanish via some type of conversation. I was asked what are the differences between the obligations of marriage in my home country and Argentina - I thought yikes I didn't know I was supposed to study ahead of time! (which you're not, they just wanted to have a reasonably detailed conversation beyond the weather). As the other person said, they want to be sure you know what you are doing - that you don't think you are buying a car or signing up for your clave fiscal.

I don't remember anyone saying anything about an interpreter when we got married in 2010. I guess I passed the test? Although afterwards I felt very selfish for not having thought to hire one anyway, because my poor family understood zero. I think my husband's aunt ended up whispering her own translation to my mom.

If they require two native Spanish witnesses then why would you also need an Spanish/English interpreter. Seems like an over-kill and another way for someone to make some money. Trying to get married next week. Have the escribano, blood test, two native Spanish friends but still questioning the interpreter.

If they require two native Spanish witnesses then why would you also need an Spanish/English interpreter. Seems like an over-kill and another way for someone to make some money. Trying to get married next week. Have the escribano, blood test, two native Spanish friends but still questioning the interpreter.

If nothing was said presumably your Spanish is up to scratch. This should have been determined when you first initiated the whole process.

Back