getting US drivers license translated? and legalized

Stantucker

Registered
Before you tell me to go back to older posts, I have already done that.

Steve put a link to Sol's blog in which she talks about getting a drivers license in Argentina, but she did not go the route of using her existing US license; she got a learners permit to avoid the problem.

On ACA's website they say the foreign license has to to translated. The govt's website says nothing about a translation. Does anyone know if it has to be translated?

Both the govt and ACA's websites say it has to "legalized." Does that mean apostilled and can that be done only in the States?

Thanks!

All your questions are answered on the city's site for drivers licenses.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/licenciasdeconducir/requisitos

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/licenciasdeconducir/requisitos/certificadolegalidad

c. Foreign licenses

In case the license has been granted by another country, the Certificate of Legality must be attached for all processing. The same must be duly validated by the consulate or the corresponding embassy of the issuing country in the Argentine Republic. In the case that it has not been issued in Spanish language it will be necessary to attach legalized public translation.

That means you need the services of a certified public translator in BA.

Last edited:

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/licenciasdeconducir/requisitos/certificadolegalidad

c. Foreign licenses

In case the license has been granted by another country, the Certificate of Legality must be attached for all processing. The same must be duly validated by the consulate or the corresponding embassy of the issuing country in the Argentine Republic. In the case that it has not been issued in Spanish language it will be necessary to attach legalized public translation.

Thanks. I had read that, but I didn't think the US embassy did legalizations. Am I wrong?

c. Foreign licenses

I just went to the US Embassy here site and they don't legalize drivers licenses. I guess I will have to wait until I go back to the States or get a learner's permit. Thanks.

Hi Stantucker. Believe it or not, even after almost 20 years I never got a driver's license in Argentina. I have had my DNI many many years (obviously I have permanent residency) and could get citizenship if I wanted but I just have never found a reason to get an Argentine driver's license here. Maybe the laws have changed recently but I've owned cars in the past and never had problems buying or renting cars in Argentina with just my US driver's license as well as a cheap International Driver's Certificate that I got almost 20 years ago from AAA that accompanies my driver's license should I get pulled over. I think I paid like $15 and there is NO expiration date in it (although now maybe they got smart and put an expiration date in it). So I just use that. Never had a problem with it even getting pulled over a few times for speeding.

I, as recently as less than a year ago rented a car in Bariloche with my US driver's license and international permit and my DNI. I used my DNI to get a discounted rate but absolutely NO problems at all with that set up. No one has even cared about not having an Argentine license. I had NO problems getting automobile insurance with this either. Maybe Bajo can tell me about some laws I'm breaking doing this? Not sure. But unless there is some absolute requirement to have a DNI and not be able to drive or rent a car with a foreign license + International permit, I never see a reason to have to get one in Argentina.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need the Argentine driver's license for? Is there some mandatory requirement for one these days? If not, you may want to just stop by any AAA office the next time you're in the USA and pick one up.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Last edited:
Hi Stantucker. Believe it or not, even after almost 20 years I never got a driver's license in Argentina. I have had my DNI many many years (obviously I have permanent residency) and could get citizenship if I wanted but I just have never found a reason to get an Argentine driver's license here. Maybe the laws have changed recently but I've owned cars in the past and never had problems buying or renting cars in Argentina with just my US driver's license as well as a cheap International Driver's Certificate that I got almost 20 years ago from AAA that accompanies my driver's license should I get pulled over. I think I paid like $15 and there is NO expiration date in it (although now maybe they got smart and put an expiration date in it). So I just use that. Never had a problem with it even getting pulled over a few times for speeding.

I, as recently as less than a year ago rented a car in Bariloche with my US driver's license and international permit and my DNI. I used my DNI to get a discounted rate but absolutely NO problems at all with that set up. No one has even cared about not having an Argentine license. I had NO problems getting automobile insurance with this either. Maybe Bajo can tell me about some laws I'm breaking doing this? Not sure. But unless there is some absolute requirement to have a DNI and not be able to drive or rent a car with a foreign license + International permit, I never see a reason to have to get one in Argentina.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need the Argentine driver's license for? Is there some mandatory requirement for one these days? If not, you may want to just stop by any AAA office the next time you're in the USA and pick one up.

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Earlyretirement, thanks. My wife thought she had read that as a resident (we are in our second year of a residencia temporaria) you have to have an Argentine drivers license if you own a car. We have just bought a car. Also it just made sense to both of us that you would need one as a car owner. Your post got me investigating and I found Law 2148. One part of it says that for diplomats, tourists and temporary residents, "se podra expedir habilitacion por el plazo de su estadia en el pais...implying that you can get one but it's not required. Below that it says that no special "habilitacion" is required if you have an international license or one issued by a country that's part of the 1949 or 1968 Convencion sobre Circulacion por Carretera. So it looks like you don't need one. I have rented cars here quite a few times, with the last time being just two weeks ago, with just my US license, not even an international one, and never had a problem, even when I have used by DNI with the residencia temporaria as ID. It seems too good to be true, and I will investigate more, but I hope that's the case, because it's just more money we'd have to spend and there are quite a few hoops you have to jump through. Thanks again for your post and for sending me down that path; I really appreciate it. I may get an international license for in the event that I am ever in a country not covered by that accord.

You're totally welcome Stantucker! Yeah, that's why I thought I'd mention it. I never found a reason to get one as mentioned. I doubt you would either. I'm not sure if this helps https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/country/argentina/ But maybe see if ACA can help you get one there without having to come to the USA. It looks like their version of AAA. That sample there looks exactly like mine except in Spanish so maybe they can do it for you cheap and easily.

I always asked people what the benefit was of getting an Argentine license and no one still to this day could ever give me a reason to so I never got one and don't regret it. Even if there is a law on the books, I can assure you the police don't care. Neither the rental agents, etc.

Having a car isn't worth it as others mentioned for living in Buenos Aires. I had one and almost didn't use it at all but I owned some houses in Uruguay and used my car there more than in Buenos Aires. I just used it on the weekend. Taxis are too darn easy and plentiful in BA. Some of the best taxis in the world. Most of them very educated and polite. Never had any issues at all.

Although I own several cocheras (garages) in BA it was still a pain having to find parking and it wasn't cheap. Also, I had a nice car so there was always the worry about it getting stolen. My friends that don't have nice cars still had their cars broken into constantly and had radios or even their tires stolen! So now they are forced to pay for a garage which is expensive relative to salaries they make.

People are also HORRIBLE drivers so it's also a small miracle I never got an in accident there.

The funniest thing about my car is although I paid a premium as it was an imported car. I actually got more for it having used it for several years when I sold it! That was awesome.

Glad the post helped. :)

Steve put a link to Sol's blog in which she talks about getting a drivers license in Argentina, but she did not go the route of using her existing US license; she got a learners permit to avoid the problem.

I read her blog and I am just a bit confused by what you wrote. If I understood correctly her blog, Sol got a new license (as if she were a new, first time licensed driver). You, on the other hand, mention "a learners permit". Do I understand you correctly that "a learners permit" in this case is the first license? If so, do you know if it needs to be 'converted' to a "standard/regular" license or it happens automatically?
Thanks for clarifying.

Back