Going rate for english to spanish translation?

jp

Registered
Anyone give me a clue? I have no idea what it costs to translate copy into spanish. Its just website copy, nothing too technical but there's a fair amount of it and I need to figure out a budget for getting it all done.

Thanks in advance!

J

I don't think that there's a set going rate. Here's the list to the registered translators in the city: http://www.traductores.org.ar/nuevo_org/home/busque_traductor/

What you can do is email several people (search for those close to you for an easier transaction) and describe the document that needs to be translated in order to get quotes. I'm pretty sure that there's a standard certification that's done at the end of the job that costs around $45 pesos (last I checked! it's been awhile) that they may or may not include. Good luck.

French jurist said:
You can do it online also at http://www.onehourtranslation.com/affiliate/antoine101 (they are the top online translation site, I do some translations for them).

It costs 7 cts per word plus a bit more if you want a proofread.

I'm curious - how much do you generally end up making an hour doing this kind of work? My husband is a native English speaker and a certified Italian and Spanish teacher (but not a certified translator), and I'm thinking of suggesting he look into this - do you know if a fair number of the jobs are translating to English, rather than translating from English?

Thanks!

BAwithkids said:
I'm curious - how much do you generally end up making an hour doing this kind of work? My husband is a native English speaker and a certified Italian and Spanish teacher (but not a certified translator), and I'm thinking of suggesting he look into this - do you know if a fair number of the jobs are translating to English, rather than translating from English?

Thanks!

Hi!

I prefer to mention a rate per word + a number of words per day.

When starting, expect to make 5-6 cents a word with an average output of 4.500 words a day (8-10 hours of work depending on the difficulty).

If you market yourself well enough & define a good strategy, you can make 8-10 cents a day and even 12-15 cents, but in those cases rather if you are good in a specific domain (legal, financial, medical, engineering,...).

There are quite a few online translators who make 6/8.000 USD a month. Some pretend to make more but I suspect they lie a bit.

As a rule, a translator should only translate to his/her native language, except if he/she has been living for many many years in another country.

Your hubby should indeed try it, there are many online translation sites to apply to. You can also visit www.proz.com (same owners as OneHourTranslation btw).

Do not hesitate to ask for more details via PM,

Arrivederci!

Back