Going to visit BA and want to know where expats, stay, eat, drink,meet

TedA

Registered
Hi. Just scheduled a trip for early April to BA, where I'll stay for about a week. Middle-aged, divorced, straight male; not into crazy late nights, loud music or anything illicit; just want to explore the city I've heard and read so much about, take in the culture and history, and possibly speak a little English with expats when I'm not embarrassing myself with my just-getting-by Espanol.

So, where do you folks congregate for food, drink and conversation? And, by the way, is Retero (sp?) a good central place to be based for exploration?

Thanks.

TA

Hi Ted. If you're not into late nights, you're not going to see much of the night life around here. Things don't get going until at LEAST midnight normally, and 10 is very early for anything to happen. There are a lot of threads on these boards regarding expat get together (Frinks, for example, do a search and you'll find the latest info), as well as info on websites listing the latest happenings.

I just wanted to say that I wouldn't really recommend staying in Retiro. There's not a lot around it, and it's very dodgy at night (there is a big villa right there). I'd recommend for you either San Telmo (fabulous architecture, lots of good nightlife) or Palermo (shopping, restaurants, generally very safe). Take the graffiti mundo tour! There are also threads talking about the things to see and do in these neighborhoods (and others). BA is an exciting city with lots of people and just too much to do, so you have your work cut out for you, and you will have a wonderful time.

Palermo.... that is about it.....
you will see the usual bar places mentioned here casa bar, alamo, sugar... etc

I would look for a rental in Palermo.... of course others may think otherwise... recoleta, las canitas, belgrano all good...
send me a message when you get here we can meet for a beer... my three years here might be good for 15 minutes of good information haha
welcome!!

Hi: you could rent a nice apart-hotel complete with kitchen, fridge, tv, etc
in the tangotel CONVENTILLO DE LUJO.
Its owner is Ray from Michigan. Rate includes breakfast,internet,AC, safe box, a free tango class, BBQ area, and located in Belgrano a few blocks from the subway.
Check www.conventillodelujo.com Also ask for Amy. Opcional: airport trnsportation, private tours,etc. Good Luck!!
54-11 4779-1294

I could also recommend a few night places for adult fun at economical prices
(NOT GRINGO PRICES)
Just PM me as soon as you get here.

TedA said:
So, where do you folks congregate for food, drink and conversation? And, by the way, is Retero (sp?) a good central place to be based for exploration?

Though there is a "posh" (but rather deserted at night) area of Retiro (around Arroyo and Suipacha), you will be much better off in Palermo or Recoleta, especially if you stay on the "river side" of Av Santa Fe and near linea D of the subte (this will only include a "corner" of Recoleta).

Thanks, all, for the advice! Between this and the separate (and heated) where-to-watch-the-Super-Bowl* thread, I get a sense I'll be encountering some of my countrymen -- or at least enough English to give my rudimentary Spanish a rest.

Let me clarify something: I'm not looking for nightlife, so the selection of accommodations is impacted little by the proximity to bars and restaurants. I know BA is an exciting city in that respect, but I'm a fish out of water -- a middle-aged one at that -- when it comes to nightlife. I'm really just planning to concentrate my time and energy on taking in the city while the sun shines on it, zonking out right about when everybody else is sitting down to dinner, then getting up the next day and starting over again. (This, of course, doesn't preclude a glass or three of vino or a few pints -- you know, to rehydrate and all....yeah, that's it, rehydrate.)

But again, thanks all for the guidance. Looking forward to seeing your fair city.

* Packers by 7....sorry Steeler fans, but you've got your six titles already

I agree with SteveinBsAs, stick to Recoleta or Palermo, close to de D line. It will be easy for you to move everywhere. Have a nice time when coming here!

Looks like the majority has spoken (re: Recoleta and Palermo). Being a train/subway/streetcar fan, being close to the subte will indeed factor into the the "where?" question.

Again, thanks for all the input -- I welcome more. And now that I think of it, where does an out-of-towner go for a good gym workout -- bike, treadmill, weights and pool? I just read about the Sport Club and Megatlon chains. Any thoughts on them?

TA

Well, As someone who doesn't live in Palermo or Recoleta, but in Buenos Aires instead of Little TouristVille, I do use a megatlon gym in Avellaneda, under the auspices of Racing Club (Football Team), and find them great for my needs. However, I have heard tales that some in the Palermo end can be a little pricey and once they have your credit card details it's hard to cancel payments - But Others may have clearer info.

Back