Good Morning Buenos Aires

PhilinBSAS

Registered
I flew into Aeroparque on Monday evening after a week+ abroad.

The magic of the city when seen from above on a clear night was so impressive when I first came here 13 years ago.

and I have to say that after 13 years of returning back to this mad, bad, sad town I have to say that the buzz of excitement and interest hasnt gone away one little bit. Possibly the secret is getting away often and not getting too tied to the place

I avoided posting this for over a day to see if the effect has worn off. Yesterday early evening I had a walk through the quiet and admittedly affluent barrio that I call home and it was a joy. Later on I had a delightful meal in a first rate and affordable restaurant with my intelligent articulate and beautiful GF.

Is this news worthy of BsAs Expats?

Actually being away with poor no impossible internet connections I haven't kept up to date with all the postings. Like someone said about one of the threads here. almost impossible to keep away. like some sort of perverted voyeurism's? Not entirely but sometimes I sense I feel a bit like when I was young and reading my father's Daily Telegraph letters page with a mixture of disbelief and absurdity that people with views like this can actually exist?! but fascinating and im a lot less dogmatic now I hope

Which leads me to my point.

What did Graham Greene think about Buenos Aires? He almost certainly visited here but as far as I can find never wrote about it. OK so "Greeneland" was always about small isolated places and the moral conflicts brought about by distant forces - and La Habana had fallen into the category of being small and isolated when he wrote in the 1960's about the nonsense of that place as well as the bravery.

What other writer could have captured the essence of Buenos Aires? OK so there is that other immense Anglophile figure also overlooked by the minnows of the Nobel Prize awarding body (for being too right wing? whilst Greene was too left wing??) But was Borges actually writing about Buenos Aires or was Buenos Aires just the metaphor for his imagination.

And what would Graham Greene have made of BsAS ExPats?

Pithy, cynical and interesting I guess - but perhaps with some essential optimism?

I would love to see Will Self down here writing. With his francophilia and insight plus admiration of pschogeography - which Borges virtually invented on his own - then Self junior might be up to doing a decent job. I met his father a few times professionally. I should write and invite!! but to survive Buenos Aires requires some mental durability - like Greene and Borges had - Im not sure that Self junior has that even if he has the vocabulary

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/book-reviews/will-selfs-new-novel-a-demanding-read-but-well-worth-it/article7509801/

But Will Self would surely write well on BxExpats!!

I flew into Aeroparque on Monday evening after a week+ abroad.

The magic of the city when seen from above on a clear night was so impressive when I first came here 13 years ago.

But Will Self would surely write well on BxExpats!!

Paul Theroux writes a wonderful chapter on his private meetings with Borges in Buenos Aires. See the Old Patagonian Express, here's a small excerpt,

Buenos Aires is at first glance and for days afterwards a most civilized ant-hill. It has all the old elegance of the old world in its buildings and streets and in its people all the vulgarity and frank good health of the new world. All the news stands and book shops - what a literate place one thinks; what wealth, what good looks.....I had expected a fairly prosperous place, cattle and gauchos and a merciless dictatorship; I had not counted on it being charming, on the seductions of the architecture, or the vigour of its appeal. It was a wonderful city for walking and walking I decided it would be a pleasant city to live in. I had been prepared for Panama and Cuzco but Buenos Aires was not what I expected.

The dinners and chats with Borges are just marvellous and reading such you feel happy to have known BSAs and to be able to identify with it.

I enjoyed coming back to BA after travelling in Peru and Bolivia but didn't like returning after a trip to Europe.

Fuzzy logic maybe.

I enjoyed coming back to BA after travelling in Peru and Bolivia but didn't like returning after a trip to Europe.

Fuzzy logic maybe.

Being from Europe, i loved arriving in BA. Funny how that works.

When i go somewhere else, i get this kind of fuzzy feeling when i arrive in Buenos Aires, too.

It goes away after a couple of weeks, sadly :(

In summer it goes away instantly. Probably 5 minutes after i arrive and i feel that horrible humid heat :p

Would that be the food on the plane?
Or just the rough landing you get with Aerolineas ;)

TAM? Food?? you are kidding - beyond any reasonable doubt the worst airline in the world for food. Air Cristina is far better for food in comparison. Which is perhaps wierd because Varig was sooo good for food/drink - but then they went bust.

And the heat is ok - compared to this

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/standard-pictures/weather-watch-snow-falls-on-london-7357304.html?action=gallery

TAM? Food?? you are kidding - beyond any reasonable doubt the worst airline in the world for food. Air Cristina is far better for food in comparison. Which is perhaps wierd because Varig was sooo good for food/drink - but then they went bust.

Air Cristina serves food?????????

I was lied to!!!!!!!!!!

Back