Good sushi in the city?

IntlMama

Registered
I have officially given up! There is no good delivery sushi in this city. Every time I order from highly recommended places, the food is awful! not even the quality of grocery store sushi in the US.

I don't believe good sushi exists here. What do you think?

yep. there's no good ethnic food in BA....besides latin american food or italian.

I gave up years ago...i hear Indian food is also really bad in BA or not as authentic as the stuff you find in Europe, US or India (of course).

Anyhow, I gave up a while back....whenever I go back to SF, i stuff myself with sushi, thai, vietnamese, indian, mexican, etc.....

IntlMama said:
I have officially given up! There is no good delivery sushi in this city. Every time I order from highly recommended places, the food is awful! not even the quality of grocery store sushi in the US.

I don't believe good sushi exists here. What do you think?
There are lots of threads on BAExpats about sushi. I've only found one decent place, Yuki, and I'm a sushi snob. So, ignore everything else and go to Yuki. It won't make you forget great sushi places outside of Argentina, but it's pretty good. I hereby give it the Johnny "stamp of approval".;)

In my opinion, one of two things usually happens to so-called ethnic cuisine. Either the immigrant faithfully continues to reproduce the food of his homeland while the homeland food continues to change and develop or the immigrant adapts his homeland food to the taste of the host nation. Either way, if you move from place to place, the same food won't have the same taste - and who knows what's authentic any more?

In the US, my "old country" Chinese and Japanese friends complaint that the ethnic food is not authentic either. Same with my Indian and Ethiopian friends. The food is great to me, as it's all I've ever know. I was born in Vietnam and raised by parents who cook "old school" so I'm quite a Vietnamese cuisine snob as well.

Here in BA, I've found no authentic Vietnamese dishes outside of my house, but I HAVE found dishes that are good and that I would go back for. The "pad thai" at Sudestada for example, SOOO not pad thai, but good for what it is. Mumbai is a favorite of mine for Indian. The owner is from India. The food has been "diluted" to fit the Argentine palette. We are in Argentina, after all. But the hotness (etc) can be adjusted and, in my experience, the staff is happy to do it. Sarkis for Armenian is awesome. Sure, you have to ask for yogurt sauce, and maybe some of the seasonings are not spot on, but it's good food. As for sushi, my best luck as been at the Okiren Sushi Bar and Restaurant (http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Okiren-Sushi-Bar-Restaurant-6755) in San Cristobal at the Centro Okinawense (http://www.okiren.org.ar/). Also, Nikkai (http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Nikkai-Asociacion-Japonesa-en-Argentina-125). Both restaurants are hidden from the street, so it takes a bit of perseverance to find them, but it is worth it. Another ethnic place I would recommend, that my Korean friends don't necessarily like, is Bi won in Once.

In the States we have more restaurants to choose from, so our chances of finding something that suits our palette are greater. But don't fool yourself into thinking that what you are used to in the US is close to authentic.

I advocate keeping ethnic restaurants in BA open by patronizing them and opening a dialogue with restauranteurs to help improve your experience . If we boycott ethnic restaurants, we'll be stuck with no options whatsoever outside of parilla and pizza.

Reactions: Hop
Johnny said:
There are lots of threads on BAExpats about sushi. I've only found one decent place, Yuki, and I'm a sushi snob. So, ignore everything else and go to Yuki. It won't make you forget great sushi places outside of Argentina, but it's pretty good. I hereby give it the Johnny "stamp of approval".;)

Hands down the best I've found in BsAs. It gets the Philip "stamp of approval" tambien...

For delivery, I've found http://sushiphone.com.ar/ to be the best that delivers anywhere in the city.

You'll still get lots of salmon and cream cheese, but I've found it to be one of the best options here. We usually go with their higher priced combos, so I do not have a lot of experience with the rest of the menu.

Back