Goodbye Sarkis, Hello Chef lusef

jb5

Registered
Ive never been sure why so many love Sarkis when we've consistently found their food mediocre. We went occasionally because it was a good change from typical local food.

Yesterday we were shopping in the Armenian stores on Scalabrini Ortiz. We asked a store owner for a suggestion for lunch and ended up at Cheff lusef on Cabrera. The food was amazing, much, much better than Sarkis. The lamb kabob was perfect. High quality lamb cooked jugoso as ordered. Generous portion. The bread tasted freshly baked, it was served hot and was delicious. The salad was really good too, quality greens and tomatoes that tasted like summer. Only the Feta dissapointed, but good Feta does not seem to exist here.

We will be going back often and will never stand in another line to eat at Sarkis!

Ive never been sure why so many love Sarkis when we've consistently found their food mediocre.

Ah, finally! I can come out of the closet and announce that I've always secretly felt the same way. Sarkis makes me feel like I'm eating out of a trough -- giant portions of mass-produced dishes, with the main flavors being "oil" and "salt." I've been much more impressed with smaller places such as Hanan and La Alhambra, where the ingredients are fresher and the dishes prepared with care. I've never been to Cheff Iusef, but will certainly be checking it out.

Been going to Cheff Iusef 2-4x a month for years.

It is so good.

I always liked both Chef Iuseff and Sarkis, I just find Chef Iusef soooo loud!

I've walked by Chef Iusef quite a few times, but never gone in. I'll add that to my list of restaurants to try over the next 30 days.

As for Sarkis, I like it, but I don't like to eat there because there is so much salt in the food that I can about 2-3 pounds of water weight from all the water & wine I have to drink so that my tongue doesn't turn to leather, and then I feel like crap for the next few hours because that fluid isn't going anywhere until my body has had time to process the salt. It's unreal how much salt is in their food.

So now I know of a better option. Gracias. I'll keep an eye on the noise level.

I know it dosn't make much sense to mix Armenian and Arabic/Syrian food but there's a great place that was recently renovated in Las Canitas that I love. It seems that the Syrian community and embassy staff frequent the place too. Highly recommended. Not too fancy but good value.

Al-Zein
Arce 488
4775-1402
www.alzein.info

LostinBA said:
I know it dosn't make much sense to mix Armenian and Arabic/Syrian food but there's a great place that was recently renovated in Las Canitas that I love. It seems that the Syrian community and embassy staff frequent the place too. Highly recommended. Not too fancy but good value.

Al-Zein
Arce 488
4775-1402
www.alzein.info

While you say "it doesn't make much sense to mix Armenian and Arabic/Syrian food", most of the rest of us ask "What's the difference?"

Good food recommendations, especially that are a "good value", are always welcome.

Oooh, don't get angry with me, but I prefer Sarkis. I like Iusef a lot and have eaten from there on many, many occassions (they also deliver), but I think Sarkis has the edge. Iuseff would be my second choice, above La Alhambra and the other Scalabrini joints.

I have to admit that I don't go in for most of the big main dishes, though. When we go, we just get a massive selection of the cold starters.

Napoleon said:
While you say "it doesn't make much sense to mix Armenian and Arabic/Syrian food", most of the rest of us ask "What's the difference?"

Good food recommendations, especially that are a "good value", are always welcome.

I think you'll like this place.

Smcali23 said:
I have to admit that I don't go in for most of the big main dishes, though. When we go, we just get a massive selection of the cold starters.

I strongly agree with this - Sarkis is great for mezzeh, their mains are a huge disappointment. Admittedly, that is my general feeling about middle eastern food (I used to live in Syria and grew up on Levantine food).

Back