google search options for Argentina crisis

garryl

Registered
If you type in Argentina crisis, you will be presented 2 options:
Argentina crisis 2001, Argentina crisis 2019. Looks like 2019/2020 is the new one.
Here we go Argentina!

I suppose it is. The difference is that Argentina infrastructure is now 20 years older than it was in 2001 without much maintenance and it is likely not going to have a commodity boom like it did before. Especially if Brazil keeps clear cutting it's rain forest and turning it into agricultural land.

Argentina has been so manipulated by bad politicians for so long that have only cared about their fortunes . I am currently in Australia and the difference in lifestyle now between the two countries is night and day . I feel like everything in Argentina is designed to be super difficult and the system that is always running in a terribly inflationary cycle creates a edgy opportunistic atmostphere . The last years in Buenos Aires I have seen a huge change for the worst in all aspects . The costs of living are outrageously high for peoples earning potential and everywhere you turn you are being screwed by very high costs for the most basic of services . Condo fees in Buenos Aires are a case in point . In Australia the buildings are much better maintained that in Buenos Aires and the condo fees are cheaper in US dollars . Yes they do not have porters but they are not necessary to keep the buildings in order . There is a tremendous sense of order here in Australia and this has been ingrained in the population from a young age . Argentina is disorder personified and the people are now too defeated to fight back. Nothing works properly , justice is nearly non existent , quality products are very hard to find and super expensive . Argentina always will have potential as it is a unique country with a natural beauty that is amongst the worlds most beautiful . Its natural resources are inmense and its human talent exceptional but I feel that this tremendous potential will never be realised as the powers to be have other plans that will soon reveal themselves in the coming years . I fear the current crisis will be much worse than 2001 and much longer .

Argentina has been so manipulated by bad politicians for so long that have only cared about their fortunes . I am currently in Australia and the difference in lifestyle now between the two countries is night and day . I feel like everything in Argentina is designed to be super difficult and the system that is always running in a terribly inflationary cycle creates a edgy opportunistic atmostphere . The last years in Buenos Aires I have seen a huge change for the worst in all aspects . The costs of living are outrageously high for peoples earning potential and everywhere you turn you are being screwed by very high costs for the most basic of services . Condo fees in Buenos Aires are a case in point . In Australia the buildings are much better maintained that in Buenos Aires and the condo fees are cheaper in US dollars . Yes they do not have porters but they are not necessary to keep the buildings in order . There is a tremendous sense of order here in Australia and this has been ingrained in the population from a young age . Argentina is disorder personified and the people are now too defeated to fight back. Nothing works properly , justice is nearly non existent , quality products are very hard to find and super expensive . Argentina always will have potential as it is a unique country with a natural beauty that is amongst the worlds most beautiful . Its natural resources are inmense and its human talent exceptional but I feel that this tremendous potential will never be realised as the powers to be have other plans that will soon reveal themselves in the coming years . I fear the current crisis will be much worse than 2001 and much longer .

Perry is such a great contributor to this Forum , hope he remains in active. His insights on Real Estate and the Economy as such are unchallenged .
As A Famous Brazilian Politician once said " Argentina is an will Always Remain the Country with the most Potential..."

PD.: Paragraphs simplify reading.

Sorry Lapsus.. I meant Active , instead of In Active....

Being Australian I can confirm it's true - the problem is trying to explain how things can be to someone like Bajo who comes from an intergalactic planet called UBA who has been force fed propaganda his whole life.

Being Australian I can confirm it's true - the problem is trying to explain how things can be to someone like Bajo who comes from an intergalactic planet called UBA who has been force fed propaganda his whole life.

We are privileged to have Bajo in this Forum with his acumen of expertise in Immigration Law. All his personal opinions on other areas can be considered or disregarded...!

I am currently in Greece, a backward country in Europe, in the same recession and hopeless situation. But things are much more functional and fluid in Greece than in Agrnetina. If you need phone and internet, you can get a German company. Shopping for home items is almost as great as US, you can get cheap things made in China labeled under Italian company names, or things made in any where in Europe, high quality furniture, electronics(20% more than in US, not too bad). Produce in Greece is almost at US Whole Foods level in terms of quality, 1/3 of Whole Foods price. Condo fee is 40-50 euros, buildings are not well taken care of , but OK. Many East European workers are eager to work, have someone over to paint and fix the plumbing is easier. Medical service is similar to that of Argentina, but with more options, the doctors are European doctors, not European trained doctors in BsAs. It's still a fked up country, but compared to my experience in BsAs, I feel life is much easier. The living cost is about the same, overall, but I get much more in value. A short hop to Greek islands or to any European city is as easy as hell, there is no strike if you choose to fly non Greek airlines, the few Greek airlines are super though. Greek run their ships and Airlines well. One of the reasons that Argentina attracts expats is that it's considered a poor man's Europe. Now the poor man's Europe is becoming more expensive and difficult than real Europe, you might as well go for the real Europe, Spain and Portugal are great too, and many other countries. I will still visit Argentina, but I do not need to have an apt there. Next time visiting Argentina "sin problemas" like the taxi driver told me when he dropped me to EZE. I told him that I was not sure when would be my next trip to EZE, here is all the left over pesos I have, he was quite thrilled.

Last edited:
Since 2007, I start to know the few expats who had apts here managed by the same person, we all helped each other to bring dollars to BsAs to pay for expense. People started to sell and leave after 2010/2012, by 2017, almost everyone I know sold their apt , I was the last one. Looking back, I think it was the right decision for those who have no spouses here, and just enjoy tango, lower living cost, and culture life for having a real estate here. The headache to keep the apt and inability to sell it fast (plus the crazy tax steps to sell) does not make any sense to own an apt, especially if the cost of apt is a large amount to the retired expats. From financial point of view, it was a bad investment, but it was an interesting experience. I never expected to make anything there anyway. Thanks to Marci, we had a short delusional good time, I got rid of my apt thanks to Perry's hard work.

Last edited:
I was also able to persuade another expat lady to accept her offer without trying to negotiate too hard, and take the money and run. Now she is calling me everyday to thank me and Perry for getting her out that "shit hole in Plamero soho" where she felt terrible and trapped each day.

Back