Government officials warn property crime will increase after the quarantine ends

antipodean

Registered
https://www.infobae.com/coronavirus...ra-la-propiedad-cuando-termine-la-cuarentena/

Government warned that there will be a spike in property crimes when the quarantine ends
The new official of the Ministry of Justice, María Laura Garrigós de Rébori, put forward a scenario of increased crime as a result of the economic crisis. In addition, she specified that the population of detainees fell greatly during the pandemic and assured: "Prisons are not for punishment"

-------

Putting this in the context that we are yet to feel the worst economic crisis in Argentine history and there will be a lot more hunger out there, I am curious to know from those who were here in the early 00´s what the impact of crime was like back then under similar economic circumstances.

The Argentines I know (who may be prone to exaggeration) do tell me there was a lot more crime back then and some left the country because of it. Having lived in Brazil before I know what a high crime society is like, which is precisely why I don't live there today despite loving the country and having a partner from there.
By comparison Argentina is a paradise. So just how bad is it likely to get?

The stories I have heard from my Argentines was that it was very common for:
  • Home break-ins (including apartments)
  • Hold ups and armed robberies in stores / banks etc
  • Express kidnappings
  • Kidnappings for ransom of family members, business people, foreigners etc
  • Taxis kidnapping their passengers (especially those arriving at EZE who get taken to a villa and stripped)
  • More armed motorbike robberies on the street

We are already seeing more motochorro attacks. However, I am unsure how much this has to do with criminals simply taking advantage of the situation or if it points to an ongoing upward trend. Like many things, we'll have to wait until the lockdown ends to know.

https://www.infobae.com/coronavirus...ra-la-propiedad-cuando-termine-la-cuarentena/

Government warned that there will be a spike in property crimes when the quarantine ends
The new official of the Ministry of Justice, María Laura Garrigós de Rébori, put forward a scenario of increased crime as a result of the economic crisis. In addition, she specified that the population of detainees fell greatly during the pandemic and assured: "Prisons are not for punishment"

-------

Putting this in the context that we are yet to feel the worst economic crisis in Argentine history and there will be a lot more hunger out there, I am curious to know from those who were here in the early 00´s what the impact of crime was like back then under similar economic circumstances.

The Argentines I know (who may be prone to exaggeration) do tell me there was a lot more crime back then and some left the country because of it. Having lived in Brazil before I know what a high crime society is like, which is precisely why I don't live there today despite loving the country and having a partner from there.
By comparison Argentina is a paradise. So just how bad is it likely to get?

The stories I have heard from my Argentines was that it was very common for:
  • Home break-ins (including apartments)
  • Express kidnappings
  • Taxis kidnapping their passengers (especially those arriving at EZE who get taken to a villa and stripped)

So just how bad is it likely to get?

Hard to say but all the crimes below will increase above the 2002 levels
  • Home break-ins (including apartments) . Will increase being taken at gunpoint to your flat by an intruder in the lobby.
  • Express kidnappings
  • Taxis kidnapping their passengers (especially those arriving at EZE who get taken to a villa and stripped) For a taxi ride you had to call the Central and give a DNI. Hailing a cab on the street was a no no..!
In 2002 I was staying at a small hotel in Larrea near Arenales. An armed robber took the place of the receptionists and every incoming guest was robbed then ushered to a pantry, all passengers were left there locked..

[/QUOTE]

Is there any update on this thread? Anyone have personal or anecdotal stories?

From my observations, the city remains surprisingly safe despite there visibly being more poverty/ homelessness than before. Can’t remember the last time I heard about a robbery-murder.

Provincia however, where poverty tends to be more extreme, seems to be the opposite with violent crime and home invasions an increasing theme and worry. Especially in poorer and “working class” areas. I do know people who have suffered armed entradas there.

Last edited:
From my observations, the city remains surprisingly safe despite there visibly being more poverty/ homelessness than before. Can’t remember the last time I heard about a robbery-murder.

Provincia however, where poverty tends to be more extreme, seems to be the opposite with violent crime and home invasions an increasing theme and worry. Especially in poorer and “working class” areas. I do know people who have suffered armed entradas there.
This is because we are living in a police state at CABA:

For those that would rather forego the "police state" of CABA in favor of narcos, thieves, hooligans, kidnapers, rapists, wife beaters and murderers, fortunately, they remain free to put their money where their mouth is and move to Sao Paulo, Caracas, or simply down the road to La Plata, Escobar or Rosario.

Personally however, I prefer to live in one of the safest cities in Latin America after having lived in some of least safe cities. Each to his/ her own.

Back