Government will monitor social media to predict future crimes

MilHojas

Registered

Among his plans to downsize the State, President Milei has been saying that he intends to replace government workers and organizations with AI systems. The first role that he will give to this technology, however, will be an expansion of state agencies: on Monday his government created the Unit of Artificial Intelligence Applied to Security.

It works in China. Maybe AI can be helpful. But with that extra security you loose a chunk of freedom/privacy in public ...

Glad they referenced Philip K. Dick’s science fiction stories, and the movies that were based on his work. Pre-crime arrests to avoid real crimes from ever happening. The crime free utopia everyone wants.

"Privacy in public"...sounds like an oxymoron.
I think he might be invoking the 4th amendment of the US constitution (for those who are Americans)you should expect no privacy when in public as far as being filmed or recorded but that does not give the gov the right to profile you if you are not a person of interest of a crime already committed .
Besides, i wouldn't follow any chinese model for..... just about anything at all.

With all the trouble the U.S. has ran into with facial recognition software wrongly accusing innocent people, maybe we shouldn't place AI in charge of policing? Live-action, human police are faulty enough when it comes to wrongfully convicting folks. All this will do is prove a very large headache and take up resources as innocent folks will be carted in with 'certain proof' they're involved in something nefarious, no way to prove otherwise without a mountain of hassle and overreach and no common sense or humanity in sight.

It also seems that they'll be using this tech to go after those who don't agree with their policies. What's the oversight on this stuff and who decides what a threat is over a solid criticism or opinion? I know we're all already recorded everyplace we go, but it's funny Milei- who's touted as a Libertarian-is increasing that surveillance.

Governments always use 'safety' as an excuse to implement programs that overstep individual rights to privacy. Look at the disastrous Patriot Act that both parties in the U.S. foam at the mouth to renew every time it's up for discussion. Any time a government says they're implementing something to keep me 'safe,' I'm more than weary.

Additionally, AI is allowing real criminals to spoof phone numbers, voices, even faces via video chats, scamming folks out of their identities and savings...rarely ever caught. Each day it gets easier for real criminals to circumvent the law. Chances are they'll figure out how to game the AI oversight programs and the only people who'll suffer are innocent folks just minding their business and giving up all of their information to gov't agencies prone to hacking attacks and more.

But what do I know? I'm just a luddite astounded at how far society is willing to take this AI overlord stuff before it causes irreversible damage. Seems it's fast approaching and I'm not even a doomer.

A state so small it can fit in everyone's cellphone and internet activity to spy on them, the libertarian dream. VLLC!

Glad they referenced Philip K. Dick’s science fiction stories, and the movies that were based on his work. Pre-crime arrests to avoid real crimes from ever happening. The crime free utopia everyone wants.
Minority Report and excellent movie, Patricia Bullrich will manage the tanks with the tanks with the vidents..!

To the title of this thread - it is not like idea of cyberpatrullaje is something new to Argentina. The former Alberto Fernandez-CFK government used it to "predict future crimes" and it was implemented by the Macri government before them for the same reported objective, complete with cases of "pre-crime arrests". Let's go back to 2020 for minute:

Sparing the "VLLC" jibes which seem to have already become the new "ah pero..", it seems all four of Argentina's major political spaces are "guilty" of it and the tools that power the concept only seem to be "evolving" with advancing technology. Somehow I don't think this is limited to Argentina either even if the concept and the tools are totally valid and fair grounds for debate.

Back