Graduate School In Argentina For U.s. Citizen

viksteele

Registered
Hi,
I'm having trouble getting a straight answer that I can verify. I am considering pursuing
my masters in math education in Argentina to save money. My bachelors is from the U.S.
(Florida State University)
I have been living in BA for a year. (Fabulous city!)

My questions are:

1. What is the costs of tuition for grad school. Even UBA cannot give me a straight answer when I call the International students dept.
2. Do I have to get a student visa or can I just keep making visa runs to Colonia.
3. Anyone have experience trying to land a teaching job with a degree from Argentina or any country other than U.S.

Thanks,

V-

Yes, you have to apply for a student visa. You won´t have any issues about that.
The UBA is for free. They charge a fee to foreigners in the Master degree.
The UBA has agreements with Columbia and Stanford for Master degree but, it depends from school to school.
I have many friends who are working teaching in the US in the top 10 Universities but they are Argentines.
However, what you should find out is if it is good in that subject in particular.
Regards

If you are in Buenos Aires I would suggest going to the office and bothering them until you find someone who knows whats going on. I doubt you will be able to get a straight answer over the phone or email. Just remember that if you are planning on doing the degree through UBA this kind of ridiculousness is the norm. So you can look forward to another year or 2 of that!

It seems that if there is some kind of agreement with universities in the US and la UBA, you would have to apply to those universities instead of la UBA. Also, a degree from here might not be recognized in the US unless there is some kind of official agreement between universities. Most schools in the US require that part of the program be done at the home institution as well.
It has been many years, but I got a student visa through the Argentine embassy/consulate in my home country. I recall that they required a medical exam in those days (20 years ago). I came through an exchange program with my university in the US.
You should be able to sit in on some classes at la UBA as an oyente to see if it's really a place where you would like to study.

That was what I meant for agreements. Being from UBA you can apply for a master in the US straight. You can also apply for a scholarship but for that you first have to get the AR citizenship.

However, one important clarification: the system here is different. When you finish your degree you have the master included, I mean, it is not separated like in the US and that´s why it is longer.

For example, at UBA Law School we had CBC (1 year), general law (3 years, it is like the undergraduate), and CPO -specialization- (2 years, its like the Master). So, after 6 years you get the law degree. But UBA offers a master degree (that is taken by foreigners and lawyers who studied in private universities) but the program and the level is the same than CPO.

Regards

Here's my experience doing a master's degree at UBA: http://urbanexpats.com/2015/04/27/how-to-enroll-in-a-masters-program-at-uba/

Back