Growing Vegetables in Buenos Aires

The GM issue is GOOD reason to become a gardener if we live in Argentina. Purity of food supply is the only reason I can think of to add all that work when food is so readily available. Uruguay has kept GM out except for soy and corn. Here it appears you almost need to get into gardening, even if it is balcony or rooftop, as far as I can tell. I thought perhaps someone here would know what no one else around here seems to. And yes, Dirtboy, I can tell you know what I'm talking about. I've been surveying my own balcony to decide if it's worth it, even though a phone call will bring anything I want right to my door!

Does anybody know where to buy the seed or the plant stevia? I already asked a few viveros and they look at me as if I come from space...

I found it, Stevia is called Kaajé, Estevia or azucar verde. You can get the plants on the corner of Parana and Arenales.
You can use the leaves as natural sugar in your tea :)

I'm looking into rigging up a drip irrigation system from our air conditioner condensers using plastic hoses. Haven't quite figured out how to have the water flow all the way through to the end of the system, though. It seems that all the water would drip into the first couple of buckets with nothing left at the end. We get between 5 and 10 gallons of water on a hot day here from the ac units.

If anyone knows how to make that happen I'd be grateful for an explanation.

GS

I' m certainly not the mechanical type but I have a good friend in Paraguay who is one of those natural recoverees from cancer and he has what you might call a sprout garden in his house where he sprouts a huge amount of seeds. He built a cool system in a large plastic container with smaller containers inside that hold differnt types of seeds, has a tube attached around the entire top of the large container and the whole thing mists every 15 minutes. It's pretty awesome. He has a small pump connected that is on a timer. Wonder if that idea would work to pump the water where you want it to go.

Built a large vegetable garden on our terrace in Recoleta. Planting tomatoes (anyone have heirloom tomato seeds??) eggplants,red peppers, corn, string beans and squash. After a successful springtime bloom of tulips and daffodils and now a vegetable garden I am beginning to feel like home. I'll let you know after I pick my first juicy tomoato! Great garden center on Scalabrini Ortiz called Marios.

I have heirloom tomato seeds (speckled roman and a few black krim seeds left). I have a whole lot of pepper seeds too, if you are interested. I have some hibiscus flower (zinger tea), echinacea and amaranth seeds too. I have filled our balcony to the brim and can't use the seeds fast enough, so many of the seeds are pretty old, but most of what I planted this year came up, so it's worth a shot. I offer them for free to whoever makes their way over first.

Hey,

Id be interested in meeting up with anyone, or group, at a bar or cafe sometime after Dec. 8th for garden talk + seed exchange. Anyone interested? I have been growing "una huerta" here for 2 years now. I have a good collection of seeds and an argentine planting calander i could bring along. At the moment I have a tomatoes, carrots, beats, 3 dif. types of lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas, and baby cucumbers in the ground. let me know.

Saludos

I'm looking into rigging up a drip irrigation system from our air conditioner condensers using plastic hoses. Haven't quite figured out how to have the water flow all the way through to the end of the system, though. It seems that all the water would drip into the first couple of buckets with nothing left at the end. We get between 5 and 10 gallons of water on a hot day here from the ac units.

If anyone knows how to make that happen I'd be grateful for an explanation.

GS

Yes simple if you can get drip or trickle irrigation like this http://www.access-irrigation.co.uk/ see also RHS website.

guess you have either 1. holes that are too big or 2. insufficient head (not intended to be personal comments :) )

I've got some trickle tape from the pound store which aint bad for soaking a raised bed from a rainbutt which has a head of no more than I metre height. Ill check if still around and if Ive got room in my measly bag allowance (cut price cattle class) to bring over in a couple of weeks Ill let you know

Hey,

Id be interested in meeting up with anyone, or group, at a bar or cafe sometime after Dec. 8th for garden talk + seed exchange. Anyone interested? I have been growing "una huerta" here for 2 years now. I have a good collection of seeds and an argentine planting calander i could bring along. At the moment I have a tomatoes, carrots, beats, 3 dif. types of lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas, and baby cucumbers in the ground. let me know.

Saludos

I'd be up for that. Would enjoy learning about how to grow vegetables here. Is there such thing as a Farmer's Almanac in Argentina?

Back