Guarantee?

skidel15

Registered
I just got accepted to study for a master´s at Flacso and am now trying to figure out how to rent an apartment with a student budget. I was told by some Argentine friends that in order to rent a cheap apartment in BA, in pesos, that you need some legal paper called a guarantee?

Are foreigners usually expected to pay in USD, or is it possible to find an apartment where you pay in Pesos?

I am new to this site so any info about renting a place, or where´s the best barrio to look for apartments on a student budget would be welcomed.

cheers,

mel

I´ve read this bit about a guarantee on the ministry of ed website that offers advice to foreign students....

Landlords usually require the submittal of a local real-property security interest, intended to secure rent and utilities payment, since, in the event of failure of tenant to pay, the duty of payment shall fall on the guarantor whose real property is held as a security interest. Given that such a requirement is indeed "troublesome" for a foreign student to meet, there exist some landlords, who, fortunately, waive this requirement, eventually replacing it by either a higher safety deposit (an amount intended to cover eventual damage on property or unpaid utitilies/expenses) or the advanced payment of some monthly rents.

Yes, this guarantee is a garantia proprietaria (guaranteed on another apartment/house belonging to a friend/family member).

Watch out for the people selling such garantias proprietarias in newspaper ads, those are scams.

You have to know, as well, as a normal rental here (like the ones Argentineans sign) are for a two years term.

Your best bets :
- Find room mates
- Find a cheap & small apartment for short term rentals (those are for 6 months max but you can renew)
- If you stay one year (??), offer to pay 6 months or 1 year in advance (again, try to be assisted by an Argentinean if you do this, in order to avoid potential scams) & negotiate from there.
- There are too some very cheap 1 bedroom to rent, without guarantees, in very cheap barrios but that's not recommended at all, those are most for undocumented workers coming from neighboring countries.

Remember too that a tourist rental usually includes everything: furniture, bed-linen, electricity, wi-fi, building expenses etc etc (and maybe even maid service) while the so-called cheap apartment will be absolutely bare-bones empty and you will need to obtain all your own furnishings etc and then dispose of them yourself at the end of the lease

I suggest you look for a room at a pension. There is a cheap one called la Toja at Tucuman and Junin. Just a few meters from there, on Junin, there is another very nice. It is the building where the hair dresser is. Regards

The funny thing is many owners won't let you act as your own garantia even if you own many properties. I own many properties in the city yet when I went to rent the first time many years ago, they wouldn't allow me to use any of my personal properties for it. I thought that was strange.....

But with these crazy laws that protect the tenants and not the owners I'd never do a long term lease on any of my places without a garantia....

skidel15 / mel:

I'd just tried to write a private message but it was not possible. You might have this option disabled?

I just want to ask you when and how long you are asking for.

I'm living on an apartment rented to some relatives of mine, placed:
3 blocks from Cordoba Avenue
5 blocks from Corrientes Avenue (Subway line B, station Angel Gallardo)
4 block from Estado de Israel Avenue.
1 block from Scalabrini Ortiz

I'm going abroad (israel) for at least 6 months since next January, and I would be happy to sub-lease my apt since i have all my stuff (furniture, audio device, fridge, microwave,tv,wifi,etc)

Its not an apt for tourist, but it's fully furnished. Please leave me a PM or a mail for further talking.

Regards
Damián (sorry for english writing, it's not my 1st lang)
damiancho ~at~ gmail . com

Back