Gym ? - Is Megatlon worth it?

citygirl

Registered
Love my Pilates but need to step it up a notch. I'm debating between Aires Up (where I'm already doing pilates) and Megatlon. (Both are 1 block from my house). Aires Up is about 170 pesos a month, Megatlon quoted my $3235 for the year but then said they would thrown in a free month. So it winds up being 250 a month- it is worth it? Also, anyone know if they have a day pass or something?

We use aires up, always been good. Megatlon seems more of a place to be seen than a place to exercise. Pretty sure megatlon do a day pass if you're interested.

If you're interested in Megatlon, they will typically give you a trial pass so you can try out different classes. I have a membership, but I bought a year at a 25% discount. My classes at the Almagro branch of the gym were really good, but I am less satisfied with the quality of the instruction in the Caballito branch. I think it depends on what you want to use the gym for--if you're just using treadmills and weights I'd say no, and if you want instruction then make sure you like the teachers, but if you need a pool they have pools, so weigh your options.

Good luck.

I cannot tell you whether Megatlon is WORTH it because I have never been a member, but in my gym search I checked them out. I would say it depends on what you want and need. They seem to have much higher quality MACHINES. But I was really turned off by all their extra fees - i.e. the locker use fee, the required contract - something none of the other gyms in my neighborhood require, a cost 2 or 3 times regular gyms, and the sales pitch pressure from the 21 year old guy who showed me around.

But if you want to use modern fitness machines beyond basic weight training equipment, it may be your best option because they seem to have PLENTY of good machines at their locations compared to our other local gyms which seem to have few machines and get really really crowded in peak times.

Megatlon has nicer facilities, but I found that a nicer looking gym doesn't get me out the door working out. I need a class, accountability. At my local gym I can go to unlimited aerobics classes which pack weight training, stretching, cardio, and totally kick my butt in under an hour for 70 pesos a month! I had a lot of bias against aerobic classes..it seemed so 80s and silly, but I have really enjoyed it and the teachers have been great! For an extra twenty I can either also do Pilates - or use the weight room. I also started with just Pilates, and I, too, needed something more intense.

Why not try a no-commitment gym for a couple months and see if that steps it up for you? If not, you could always switch later to the pricier Megatlon. Take advantage of that great thing most Argentine gyms offer which no US gyms have - NO contract!

Yes yes yes! I train at Megatlon and love the facilities, if I am in Palermo I can pop in their too. Or to many other locations throughout the city.

I am not sure about what they quoted you though. I was quoted 2400 pesos, however I believe that was an upfront payment. I took the 6 month contract of VIP Plus, giving me access to all gyms and pools and classes and I am loving it. However i did pay upfront.

I have no complaints whatsoever!

Hmmm.. that's interesting on the price. This location is one of their "platino plus" they told me -what plan do you have? When did you sign up? Hmmm.. will go back and chat with them again. I know this one is new but that seems quite a difference in price from 2400 to 3200.

And re contract - it seems pretty much every gym around here makes it so that it's so expensive to do the monthly without a contract, you wind up signing up for a year anyway. For example, Megatlon told me a month membership was 500 pesos!

Meglathon story

My wife and I used to be members of Megatlon 2 years ago. We stopped being members about a year ago because we moved. We were paying the monthly fees with her credit card.

A year later I start a 90 day trial with Megatlon paying cash up front. When the trial expires they start charging my wife´s credit card. She probably spent 6 hours between phone calls and face to face visits to get her money back.

If I joined their club, I would keep everything in cash.

Hope this helps.

John

Hey citygirl...I second the advice in the post above re the credit card nightmare. I joined a year ago through a promotion that my job had, and then after some months wasn´t really able to work it into my schd since I needed something close to my home and megatlon was near work. It took me multiple emails, calls, face to face visits to the gym itself to track down the guy who handled the contracts for my company to finally get them to stop charging my credit card. It was not enough for me to request a "baja" at the gym itself.

I´d say cash or don´t bother - there´s plenty of places around to choose from.

you were definately quoted a higher price......
i signed up at congresso gym and they were great! and i was VIP Plus which is full access. so i would ask again!!! but as for the gym its great!

Back